Producer Jeff Waxman gives big-screen advice at Quinnipiac

The Quinnipiac Film Society in collaboration with the School of Communications hosted renowned producer Jeff Waxman to talk to students about his career in the film industry. Monday’s event, held in Buckman Theatre, drew a crowd of 35 including Waxman’s daughter Danielle, a Quinnipiac sophomore.

Waxman, who has held the title of producer, co-producer, director and actor throughout his career, has worked on movies such as “Law Abiding Citizen,” “The Fighter” and “Immortals,” which released in theaters on Nov. 11.

Senior Thomas Gallo, QFS President, was pleased with the event’s overall outcome.

“Jeff Waxman informed everyone of the many struggles and setbacks one could have in the film industry,” Gallo said. “Yet, he then went on to say that passion is the key to success.”

Waxman’s eagerness to help students entering the film industry was almost as evident as his passion towards his career, as he spoke of where he has been, the people he has worked with and the challenges he has overcome as a producer.

“I only met Jeff once in person before the event, but from that one time we met, I could tell he is an individual who puts forward the utmost amount of dedication and heart into each and every single job he does,” Gallo said.

An alumnus of SUNY Oswego, Waxman shared stories of his days as a film major. He advised beginner filmmakers on campus to use friends and peers of all different majors. He suggested, as he did back in college days, to use English majors for script writing, theatre majors for acting purposes and even business majors to raise funds.

Waxman was brutally honest in expressing how tough it is to enter the motion pictures industry.

“If you’re thinking about it now and you’re not sure, don’t do it,” he said.

When discussing what employers look for, Waxman stressed the importance of versatility.

“The more aspects of the film industry that you are talented in, the more dangerous you are and the more valuable you become,” Waxman said.

Although Waxman had endless advice to give to the audience, he kept coming back to one focal aspect of creating a successful movie and that was the script.

The one piece of advice he wanted to make sure the film majors of the room were walking away with whether they planned to pursue writing, producing or directing, was that the key to a good movie is a good script.

Waxman is currently working on the film “Mirror, Mirror,” a humorous remake of Snow White which is scheduled for release in March.