Winter’s top 10 movies

“Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked” – December 16

What was supposed to be a relaxing vacation on a luxurious cruise line turns into a circus as the Chipmunks, especially Alvin, cause trouble wherever they go. The Chipmunks, along with the Chipettes, end up stranded on a remote island. For those interested in seeing a movie that will spark laughs after an intense week of finals, “Alvin and the Chipmunks” will do just that.

“Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows” – December 16

Sherlock Holmes, played by Robert Downey Jr., is back in action with his partner Dr. Watson, played by Jude Law, in what may be their most difficult task yet. Detective Holmes must stop a criminal mastermind from completing his plan of ending Western civilization, but not before he follows him all around Europe, always one step behind. Will Holmes be able to stop the villain before he carries out his evil plan?

“Mission: Impossible-The Ghost Protocol” – December 21

The blame for a terrorist bombing in Russia falls on U.S. government-hired agency, the Impossible Mission Force. The government shuts down the entire agency, including agent Ethan Hunt, played by Tom Cruise. It is up to Hunt and four other IMF agents to not only clear the IMF’s name but to stop the next attack before it’s too late. In this fourth Mission Impossible installment, Cruise takes action to a whole new level.

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” – December 21

Daniel Craig plays the role of Mikael Blomkvist, a Swedish journalist trying to recover from a libel conviction, who takes on the project of a unsolved murder from forty years ago. In Blomkvist’s study of the victim’s family, in which he believes one of the members to be the murderer, Blomkvist calls for backup. Lisbeth Slander, a socially awkward yet brilliant investigator, partners with Blomkvist in order to crack the case. The movie, based off an award-winning novel by Stieg Larsson, is one dark thriller moviegoers won’t want to miss.

“The Darkest Hour” – December 25

When alien life in the form of invisible energy invades Russia, five young internationals find themselves fighting to survive. As the aliens prey on all forms of energy and life, avoiding the attackers is a difficult task. The survivors come up with methods to resist the aliens, but will it be enough to withstand an enemy you can’t even see?

“The Iron Lady” – December 30

The Oscar nomination buzz is already brewing for Meryl Streep’s portrayal of Margaret Thatcher, the first female prime minister of England. The movie details the life of Thatcher through flashbacks to childhood, the beginning of her interest in politics and eventually her entrance into Parliament. The film’s focus is on the complexity of Thatcher’s life, and her perseverance to obtain political power, despite her gender.

“Loosies” – January 11

Bobby, a young New Yorker, has made his living by being a pickpocket and even goes as far as swiping a police officer’s badge to use when desperate situations arise. However, when an old one-night stand comes back into the picture with news that she is pregnant, Bobby realizes his usual ways aren’t the proper fit for a father. To discover if Bobby can get his act together, go see the film starring “Breaking Dawn’s” Peter Facinelli.

“Contraband” – January 13

When Chris Farraday, played by Mark Wahlberg, started a family, he swore away his life of crime. But when his brother-in-law gets in trouble in connection with Farraday’s past, he feels he needs to help. Farraday re-enters the world of international smuggling, in which he was considered a legend, in order to pay off his brother-in-law’s debts. This action-packed thriller shows the behind the scenes to contraband running, and Farraday’s commitment to helping and protecting his family.

“The Divide” – January 13

Eight strangers seek safety in the basement of their New York City apartment complex after a nuclear explosion. The survivors have sufficient food and water supplies, but after days of lockdown, they begin to go mad. Men in suits arrive seemingly to rescue the survivors, but with guns in hand, their motive is only to kill. To find out what happens to the outside world and why the survivors are being gunned down, go see this sci-fi thriller.

“Red Tails” – January 20

Want to squeeze in one more movie before classes begin? Then learn the true story of three African-American Tuskegee Airmen who came out on top during a time when discrimination was prevalent. After being grounded for the majority of World War II, the Tuskegee Airmen take flight to regain control of European skies. This action-packed film tells the story of the airmen fighting racial prejudice, and becoming the most qualified and respected fighter groups of all time.