CD Review: Lily Allen, It’s Not Me, It’s You

It’s official: only Lily Allen can yell profanities and still be the cutest indie-pop princess of our time. The British singer is at it again with her new album, “It’s Not Me, It’s You.” Only this time, Allen takes on a more mature role than on her previous album, “Alright, Still.”

The album is still coined as “cheeky,” but with a darker feel, as if the pop star has realized life’s not all about matching sneakers with prom dresses. For example – hits off “It’s Not Me” include “The Fear,” which argues the meaning of life beyond material possessions. The track “22” touches on new-wave feminism over bouncy, circus-like beats. Allen even comments on the mesh of religion and society on the melodious “Him.”

Although taking a step on the darker side, the singer continues her infamous up-and-down journey of bittersweet love, and leaving it behind. Western-influenced “Not Fair” and the mellow, yet musically full “I Could Say” follow the tribulations of parting with unsteady relationships. “F*ck You” is a more blatant broadcast to an unwanted ex, conveyed through bird-like harmonies in true Allen fashion.

“It’s Not Me” brings piano solos and techno beats to her already eclectic sound, resulting in tracks more likely to be heard at Toad’s Place than on an iPod walking to class. Whether Allen is trying new things on “It’s Not Me,” (read: circus organs, synthesizers and Western/ragtime-infused beats), or sticking to her lovesick spunkiness, the singer continues to portray a happily-sardonic style all her own.

Report Card
    Listenability: B+
    Originality: A
    Lyrics: A-
    Final Grade: A-