Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey beats Yale in overtime

Chelsea Illchuk led the Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team to a 3-2 overtime win against Yale on Saturday afternoon with a game-tying assist and a game-winning goal. With this win, Quinnipiac is now in first place in the ECAC conference.

With two minutes remaining in overtime, Illchuk made the biggest play of the game and scored the game-winning goal to get the two points. After winning a face-off in Yale’s defensive zone, Illchuk passed the puck to junior defender Regan Boulton. Boulton took a shot that was deflected by Illchuk into the net to end the game. With this win, the Bobcats are on a five game winning streak.

Both teams scored one goal to begin the first period. Four minutes into the game, Yale (1-14, 1-7 ECAC) struck first when Heather Grant scored off of a slap shot. Sophomore forward Jackie Raines and junior forward Danielle Moncion were both credited with the assist. The Bobcats (11-7-1, 7-2-1) responded four minutes later, when  Erica Uden Johansson scored a goal to tie the game. Senior defenders Melissa Perry and Bethany Dymarczyk each got an assist.

The Bulldogs took the lead in the second period with 3:28 left when Lynn Kennedy positioned herself to shoot the puck right between goaltender Chelsea Laden’s pads. The Bobcats couldn’t respond in the period, although they were outshooting the Bulldogs 21-13.

Quinnipiac scored the equalizing goal with less than five minutes remaining in the third period. They scored this off of Yale’s delayed roughing. Illchuck out-skated a defender to pass the puck to junior forward Breann Frykas, who passed it to Regan Boulton, who scored the goal, tying the game at 2 and sending it to overtime where Illchuk would score the game-winning goal.

Quinnipiac ended the game with a 39-21 shot advantage over Yale, but neither scored off the power play. Yale’s goalie Genny Ladgies had 36 saves, while Bobcats goalie Laden had 19.

Their next game will be on Friday, Dec. 9, when they travel to face their ECAC rival in Princeton, at 7 p.m.