Internet star speaks on success

Michael Buckley, the celebrity vlogger and host, writer and producer of YouTube’s hit, “What the Buck?” spoke of his entrepreneurial success at the Southern Connecticut Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America’s program on Tuesday, Jan. 27.

Buckley spoke to an audience in the Mancheski Executive Seminar Room of approximately thirty people about his extensive success from his YouTube commentary vlogging, a form of blogging for which video is the primary presentation format.

“I just wanted to create a vehicle for myself and present other opportunities for myself and I did,” Buckley said.
    Buckley’s “What the Buck?” has reached record numbers in subscribers and views and has received top ratings on YouTube. He has won several awards for the humorous and creative nature that he approaches his presentations with, and has contributed to many television stations such as CNN and The CW.
    “I just hope my success has inspired people to do something they love,” Buckley said.

Quinnipiac is the first school at which he has ever spoken, only having spoken a handful of times to companies.

“Michael Buckley is a fantastic example of someone who has flourished as a social networking entrepreneur on YouTube,” John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations at Quinnipiac said. Morgan is also a member of the Southern Connecticut Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America’s board of directors.

“I invited Michael to speak at Quinnipiac because I knew he would have some excellent insights to share about his success with local public relations professionals and members of the campus community,” Morgan said.

Buckley’s presentation was enthusiastic and had the audience laughing on several occasions.

When asked what attributed to his success, Buckley said, “My teeth are really white.” Additionally, he mentioned speaking about topical and humorous things, the interactive presence on his site, and how his audience appreciates his hard work.

“I try to appeal to people even if they don’t like celebrity gossip. Hopefully I can still get them to enjoy my presentation,” Buckley said.

He said his favorite part of his job is the interaction.
    “It’s a cold experience to be in a television studio. I enjoy the interaction and immediate feedback of being online,” he said.

At the conclusion of his presentation, he encouraged the audience to start blogging if they want to get involved.
    “Go home and make a video immediately,” Buckley said. “Don’t think about it too much.”

Buckley can be found on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and has a live show on blogTV every Sunday and Wednesday at 10 p.m.