Lox for Love cut short by small turnout

Six inches of hair is all that is needed to make a tremendous difference in someone’s life and restore his or her confidence.

On Sunday, Nov. 13, Rabbi Reena Judd and Hillel members hosted the second annual Lox for Love event at the Hillel house on New Road. At the event, Quinnipiac students volunteered to donate their hair to sick children in need.

Locks of Love is a nonprofit organization that offers hairpieces to children under the age of 21 in the United States and Canada who cannot afford them and are suffering from hair loss due to any diagnosis, including cancer. The organization feels it is important for these children to have hair in order for them to fit in with their peers and maintain their self-esteem and confidence.

“The hair is put in elastic bands and is sent to Locks of Love in West Palm Beach, Fla. From there, it is woven into wigs for people who have lost their hair due to illnesses,” Judd said. “It started as an organization for people with cancer but has now spread to people who need wigs due to any physical situation.”

“I’ve had a couple friends with cancer,” junior Brian Farrell said. “I’ve been growing my hair out for about a year and two months now so I figured when it was long enough, I would cut it and donate it.”

Despite the small turnout, two students grew out their hair for this particular purpose and cut off six inches in order to help children in need.

A bit disappointed that only two people were expected to donate their hair this year compared to the 17 last year, Judd felt that the event lacked advertising.