Finding the perfect gift

As Thanksgiving comes to an end, wrapping up the turkey and pumpkin pie leftovers doesn’t seem so upsetting now that the Christmas holiday season is drawing near.

Year after year, picking out the ultimate gifts only seems to get more difficult with the influx of new products and advertisements. By now, dad is probably tired of the same old colorful tie from J. Crew, and your boyfriend must be sick of the typical cologne that comes in the same fancy packaging.

This year, there may be some new gifts to try and scope out for everyone, from your mother and father to your siblings and your significant others. There may even be some must-have items for college students you can add to your list as well.

If parents have you on a tight budget, there are a number of reasonably-priced gifts. This year, your mother deserves nothing but the most thoughtful gifts. To aid her in the kitchen, Williams-Sonoma, a well-known cooking supply store, offers a 10-piece glass mixing bowl set for $35, ideal for mixing, creating and perfecting old family recipes. The Body Shop’s latest perfume oils are only $16, with scents such as Japanese musk, Coconut, Strawberry, Vanilla, Patchouli and Indian Gardenia. These lush fragrances will help her to relax after a long day. If you would really like to impress your mother this year, a splurge may be in order. Ugg Australia, creator of the coveted fuzzy boot, has the perfect “Scuffette Slipper” to keep Mom’s feet warm this winter. They come in a variety of brown shades to match whatever is in her wardrobe.

It is always tough to keep dad interested during the opening of gifts when the floor is covered in scraps of festive wrapping paper, but these gift ideas are sure to grab his attention. This season, Dick’s Sporting Goods has an array of sports memorabilia and outdoor accessories that dad is sure to appreciate. For the fathers who love to fish, tackle boxes under $20 are waiting to be filled with fly line, hooks and bait. The Wilson NCAA Official Composite Football, for only $20, is ideal if your dad enjoys throwing a ball around with the guys or with the family after a holiday dinner. For a good read, he might even enjoy James Patterson’s latest installment “Cross Country,” a novel of murder and mystery that will keep him captivated from start to finish.

For any young student in love, it is important to buy the gift for a significant other that will make them fall even more in love. For young women wishing to cross off wishes on their boyfriend’s list, anything from movies to clothes may make their eyes light up during gift exchanging. This season, your guy’s favorite movies are going to be hitting the shelves. From Ben Stiller’s laugh-out-loud “Tropic Thunder” to the action-packed “Iron Man,” a quick browse through Target’s DVD collection will provide many stocking stuffers. American Eagle also offers great deals on men’s boxers, with a two for $20 deal on the best printed boxers and even a unique glow-in-the-dark pair.
    To surprise any girl worth shopping for, an inexpensive charm bracelet for her is a great choice from jewelry company Blue Nile, which offers sterling silver bracelets for $35 with a variety of charms to choose from including initial and birthstone charms. Lastly, for any romantic young woman, Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight” series are sure to keep her longing for love.

After spending time and money on your loved ones, there’s no reason to deny yourself a gift or two. Every college student deserves a little something special this holiday, whether it’s a new wardrobe for the spring semester or a gift card to the school bookstore. This season, it may be in your best interest to ask your parents for a gift everyone in your dorm will love. Rock Band 2 may be a pricey gift to ask for at $160, but it may be well worth it when you bring your hall mates together for a jam session to start off the new semester after the holiday season.