Tuition increase set for 2009-10

Developing story:

In a memo to faculty and staff received by The Quinnipiac Chronicle, President John L. Lahey outlined plans for a tuition increase for the 2009-10 school year.

The increase in undergraduate tuition, room and board, set for 4.87 percent, was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting on Dec. 9. This is the smallest increase in 20 years.

Lahey also imposed a “temporary” hiring freeze upon the university in regards to faculty and staff, and Cabinet members of the university have been asked to prepare recommendations for five percent reductions in operation and personnel.

The Board also approved a 15 percent increase in financial aid, “bringing this budget to its highest level as a percent of the total budget in 20 years,” Lahey said.

“While we trust these decisions will be of assistance to our students and their parents in these difficult times, the combined effect of these actions will also result in the smallest percentage increase in net tuition revenue in our operating budget in almost 20 years,” Lahey said.

Next year’s salaries for the University’s president and his vice presidents will remain at their 2008-09 figures.

Lahey said Quinnipiac will require “some belt tightening,” but will also remain focused on its long-term goals.

“I think we need to plan and budget with the worst in mind but at the same time remain committed to our long-term Strategic Plan for Academic Excellence and National Prominence, funding its priorities more slowly and prudently and where possible eliminating or reducing activities of lower priority or less strategic significance,” Lahey said.

Faculty and staff searches currently underway are “quite likely” to be eliminated.

“While these are obviously very challenging times for people in general as well as in higher education, Quinnipiac University is as well positioned as almost any of our peers to weather this storm, albeit with some pain, and emerge even stronger and healthier in the years ahead,” Lahey said. “As always, we need your dedication and leadership, good will and wisdom to meet these new challenges and to achieve our shared vision and goals.”

Stay with The Quinnipiac Chronicle for updates on this developing story.

Contributions made by Andrew Fletcher and Andrew Vazzano.