Megan McCreedy earns Quinnipiac field hockey’s assist record

Megan McCreedy earns Quinnipiac field hockeys assist record

Not many student-athletes are fortunate enough to get a chance to cement their name into a Division I program’s record books. When they do, it is sure to be something worth remembering. That is what captain Megan McCreedy of the Quinnipiac women’s field hockey team accomplished Oct. 23 in a 2-0 win against Northeast Conference opponent Bryant.

McCreedy has left her mark on this season by accomplishing a feat that nobody else has. McCreedy became the program leader in assists for a career (26) and set the single-season assist record (14) as well.

Photo by Matt Eisenberg/Chronicle

The record-breaking moment came on a penalty corner in the 31st minute. McCreedy received a pass from Maria Malonoski on the left side of the circle in the attacking zone and fired a pass across the top of the circle to senior Kimberly Cunniff. Cunniff fired a shot past Bulldog goaltender Jennifer Gullotti to give Quinnipiac a two-goal lead.

With Cunniff’s goal, McCreedy passed Jamie Cassesse for the program’s single-season assist record (12) and Julie Smith for the career assist record (24). She added an assist in Friday’s final home game against Sacred Heart.

McCreedy credits her teammates for helping her achieve her record.

“Honestly I don’t go for assists, you can’t really go for assists,” McCreedy said. “I have to give my teammates credit for putting it in the cage. They have been very supportive.”

McCreedy surprisingly did not realize she was close to breaking the record.

“I actually had no idea that it was going to happen or that I was close,” McCreedy said. “I didn’t expect it, but counting down to it was kind of exciting, you just hope for the best.”

Her 14 assists as a graduate student account for more than half of the total number of assists she had in her past three seasons.

“If you look at it, I have had half of my career assists this season,” McCreedy said. “It has been this season that has really put me ahead.”

The 5-foot forward from White River, South Africa has come a long way to Quinnipiac and has always had field hockey in her blood.

“Coming from South Africa, field hockey is much bigger there than it is here,” McCreedy said. “My parents both played field hockey and my three sisters also played field hockey. It’s more of a casual sport. I started when I was maybe about 6 years old. I have been playing forever, it feels like.”

McCreedy credits the training regime of the American game in helping her ease her transition into Quinnipiac.

“It’s more intensive here,” McCreedy said. “When I played back home it was more casual, you’re on the team because we all played sports. It was different, but it did help me a little bit, but not more than the next girl.”

Coming to the United States has been a development for McCreedy, but an overall good experience, she says.

McCreedy credits Quinnipiac women’s field hockey’s head coach Becca Main Kohli, for her smooth transition to Hamden.

“I love my coach. Becca has been amazing to me,” McCreedy said. “Coming from another country, I have no family here and I had never been to the country before. She made it easier than I could ever hope for.”

McCreedy’s 14 assists for the single-season record as a graduate student could have possibly happened sooner had she not gotten hurt during the preseason last year.

McCreedy, who sat out the whole season due to a broken hand, had mixed feelings about the injury she experienced.

“It’s tough sitting out for a whole season, especially because I have been playing for the last three years,” McCreedy said. “But with an injury like that, you need your hands to play, and because I broke a hand you have to kind of suck it up. It was good to watch my teammates. It’s actually good to have a season out because you get caught up in the moment.”

McCreedy describes how Main Kohli tells stories about past players. Some are remembered, while some do not get mentioned. “A record helps you with that,” McCreedy said.

“It is nice to have your names in the books. You always think of how people will remember you. It is not about the record for me, just playing and helping out my teammates.”

While McCreedy will treasure the record, she is more focused on the team’s NEC playoff game Friday against Monmouth at top-seeded Rider University.

“I don’t really think about the record,” McCreedy said. “I just want to end the season off well going into the NEC playoffs on Friday.”

McCreedy, hopes she can add to the team’s NEC title run this weekend. While the record will stay with her, it is the championship she wants above all.