Real World: Quinnipiac

The famous opening credits of MTV’s “The Real World” have been essentially burned into the minds of generations of young adults. The phrase, “This is the true story of seven strangers picked to live in a house, work together and have their lives taped; to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real,” is arguably one of the most recognizable show openings, and one that is quite on target with real life.

As the first semester nears its end, this well-known quote from the MTV reality show can suffice for dorm life at Quinnipiac University — without the cameras, of course. Instead of seven strangers, the freshmen at Quinnipiac are picked to live with two or three other strangers and make their dorm rooms their new homes.

Unlike the skepticism of “The Real World’s” actual reality factor, students at Quinnipiac know that living with new individuals is anything but staged. The arguments between roommates are as real as the lasting friendships being created. Looking around in any dorm building, it is easy to tell where the relationships have started to form and how these bonds affect the rest of the rooms. Like the cast members on “The Real World,” each resident of the dorm rooms brings along his or her own personality, style, and way of living. Given these factors, it is easy to understand where the conflict may come into play.

For some Quinnipiac freshmen, living with three other individuals is a complete reality check.

Nicole Vece, a freshman resident of The Ledges, is used to having her own room. “I’m having a hard time dealing with not having as much privacy and having to share my things,” she said.

For Nicole Moffa, another freshman, people’s schedules seem to be the most difficult part of living with three other girls. Everyone has a specific time for doing things like showering, eating and waking up.

Another problem freshman Danielle Chambers came across when encountering a new roommate is sleep. “Sometimes people want to go to bed early, and others do not,” she said. “You have to learn to share your living space and to live with people on a 24/7 basis.”

In “The Real World,” cast members are sometimes lucky enough to formulate friendships that last for a lifetime. The same applies to the residential living at Quinnipiac. The majority of the freshmen living on campus have stated that they have made a connection with at least one of their roommates.

“At first I became friends with one of my roommates, and then the other eventually came out of her shell and now we are friends,” Vece said.

It is easy to suggest that moving into a dorm room for the first time is much like being on “The Real World,” minus the constant camera crews, accessible pools and jacuzzis and fully equipped bars. The fights are a reality, as are the unforgettable memories you begin to make through the semester.

Now having reached the halfway mark of the first semester, lifestyles and routines are finally falling into place. According to The College Board, “You’ll find the sharing of a space builds character. It will probably make you more patient at the very least.” Enjoy the time you have with your roommates, bond with them, and “start getting real.”