Quinnipiac men and women’s cross country compete in NEC tune up

The Quinnipiac men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Central Connecticut State Mini Meet Friday. The women’s team finished second out of six teams in the 3,000-meter race with a total of 37 points.

Quinnipiac had three runners finish in the top 10. Senior Morgan Roche finished first for the Bobcats and fourth overall with a time of 10:21. Junior Andrea Szarkowicz crossed the finish line eighth overall and second for the Bobcats with a time of 10:38. Sophomore Jessica Soja finished 10th in 10:43.

“I think today was a perfect tune up for our upcoming conference meet,” Quinnipiac head coach Carolyn Martin said. “I’m confident the girls are feeling good for next week.”

Seniors Katie Beam, Julie Lanning, Katie Kelly, Martha Santandreu, and graduate student Kelly Sorrell were honored before the race during the Senior Day ceremonies.

The men’s team placed fifth out of seven teams with a total of 119 points in the 5,000-meter race.

Freshman Thomas Dextradeur crossed the finish line first for the Bobcats. He finished in 15th place overall with a time of 15:52. Junior Mike Levene followed finishing in 18th place with a time of 16:05. Senior John Healy rounded out the top three runners with a time of 16:06 crossing the line immediately after Levene.

“I thought the men’s race went really well today,” Martin said. “We had a couple of athletes run personal records. I think it was a great way to get the team focused for next week’s conference meet.”

Quinnipiac honored its graduating three seniors, John Beckshaw, Dave Coppola, and Healy, prior to the meet.

The Bobcats return to action Saturday Oct. 29, as both teams compete in the 2011 Northeast Conference Championship and the women aim to defend its title for the seventh straight season at Holmdel Park in Holmdel, N.J.