You Need Guts to Gain Glory

Rather than fighting it out for a treadmill at the gym, exercise classes have become quite the craze recently at Quinnipiac University. Yoga has a cult-like following and kickboxing is growing in numbers. It was no surprise then when the new class, “No Guts, No Glory” started and generated a large amount of attention. The aerobics class, taught by Julie Connaster, a junior Physical Therapy major, had roughly thirty people at its first unveil and more than forty at the second.
    “No Guts, No Glory”– a perfect name to describe this class. The hour long routine begins with some fast- paced cardio to increase the heart rate. It only takes about one minute to realize you’re going to work hard. Jumping jacks, squats, jogging and kicking are used to get the body moving.
    Connaster developed a great balance to the workout for the entire body, with special focus on the abs, butt, and thighs. Once the heart rate is increased, it’s time to grab some weights and do some arm work that will nicely tone and shape. Next, she moves everyone to the floor to do some leg work to strengthen the body’s core, or abdomen. After the class is complete, she gives some exercises to cool the body down, stretch, help it relax and regain composure.
    “No Guts, No Glory” may take your breath away at times and push you a little bit farther than you usually work yourself, but the overall consensus is that it’s an enjoyable class. Watching everyone work and sweat, it was easy to see that they were still having fun.
    For the tired, overworked college student, this class is a perfect remedy. Everything about it is upbeat– from the moves to the music to the instructor.
    “She has a great choice of music” one participant said, “It helped me get more energized.” Connaster is a great teacher who makes it clear to her students that she really loves and embodies what she does. Feedback from anyone taking the class is always welcomed. She is open to any ideas from students regarding additional exercise moves or classes to include in the following weeks. Even the choice of music is up to the students.
    Because of the popularity of the class, some students have been expressing their wish for it to be scheduled more than once a week. Connaster hopes to make that possible by the second semester, but as of now, the class is every Monday at 6 p.m. in an upstairs room of the fitness center.
    Could the fitness class “No Guts, No Glory” eventually replace the never ending use of the treadmills and elliptical? Only time will tell but according to another student, “I really liked the class, it works my whole body, and I’m telling my roommates they have to come!”