QU to host media conference

Students will have a say in who and what they will find at Quinnipiac’s first-ever media conference in the spring.

Quinnipiac senior film, video and interactive media major Brian Reilly said he has long awaited a media conference at Quinnipiac.

“I understand that networking is very important and it is probably most important for communications as it is one of the more competitive fields,” Reilly said. “This will be a great opportunity to network for juniors and seniors and also for freshmen and sophomores to ask professionals what their careers are like and how they got there.”

Sydney Russell, a senior studying broadcast journalism, said she is glad there will be a networking event solely for communications students.

“I’m constantly seeing business students and others going to fairs focused on their majors,” Russell said. “Although QU offers many opportunities, this is a step in the right direction for networking.”

The event is scheduled for April 21at Rocky Top Student Center and the conference will focus on growing technology in the communications field, journalism professor Brett Orzechowski said.

“Media is changing so quickly and there’s so much to digest on the experimental distribution and consumption side we feel as if our students should be exposed,” Orzechowski said. “There’s never been anything like this, especially with the School of Communications. With a very diverse and experienced faculty with some fantastic networking connections, it’s a good time to use our best assets and expose our students and the community to what’s out there.”

Students will vote to help choose the type of speakers for the conference and the technology they want to discuss based on questions in a survey that will be emailed to students today, Orzechowski said.

“What were going to do is send out a student survey today regarding a new media conference and the working title is called, ‘Media in the Digital Age: What’s Next.’ Instead of the faculty setting up the conference we’re going to allow our students to create the conference,” Orzechowski said.

Dean of the School of Communications Lee Kamlet said students will be more likely to attend if they help choose the speakers.

“I would trust students knowing technology than most middle-aged adults,” said Anna Didio, a senior broadcast journalism major. “They might be our professors but I feel like we are the perfect age to know what we need to know. As we grew up this digital age evolved with us.”

Orzechowski feels as though students should get a jump-start into media technology before starting a job.

“I do like the fact that they’re taking our input, but I’m not going to lie, as a senior I hope that they are taking a little more part in the structuring of it,” said Sherdale Hendrickson, a broadcast journalism major. “Initially I would say I’m so happy for the fact that I get to have an input but I’m not going to sit here and tell you everything that’s going to go on or I know everything about the real world because I really don’t.”

Throughout the day there will be two sessions for each of the four departments of communications followed by a keynote speaker. The Friday before the conference a job fair will take place. Orzechowski said the timing for both events is perfect because seniors and juniors are about to start a career or internship.

According to Kamlet, if the media conference goes well the school plans on making it an annual conference.

The survey will be open for students to cast their vote until next Tuesday.