First paid, first serve for senior housing

Quinnipiac’s senior housing will be decided this year based upon deposit order, according to Melissa Karipidis, associate director of Residential Life.

Students who wish to live in Quinnipiac owned houses, Whitney Village, Eastview or Westview will be required to submit $500 to Residential Life prior to selection. Deposits will be accepted at the Residential Life office at York Hill starting Oct. 14.

Selection will be made on the basis of first deposits made.

“To honor the part that the students like, which is not a lottery but first come first serve, will take some of the pressure off,” Karipidis said. “So if you deposit first, you’ll pick first.”

“I think this way is the fairest way,” said Stephanie Woods, a junior.

But students still feel some pressure trying to make decisions by Oct. 14., Woods said.

“Getting the deposit in by Oct. 14 is still kind of tough because we still don’t know if we want to stay on campus or go off,” Woods said.

Unlike Junior housing, Senior living has traditionally been decided on first come first serve with your entire group of housemates. Last year, students waited overnight in the rain to be able to get their pick at housing. This is something Karipidis hopes to avoid.

“The sense that ‘if I’m not there lined up over night I won’t get what I want is absolutely false, because we were still placing people through the summer,” Karipidis said. “Because sure, at a point you’re not going to get your first choice, but there was no one that was unable to get a selection.”

Students this year will only need one housemate present to select their future homes. Once at selection, multiple areas depending on housing location will be available to sign up and receive information. Housing selection will occur Oct. 29 at the Rocky Top Student Center Dining Hall Annex.