Quinnipiac field hockey wins on last-second shot

With 5.2 seconds left on the clock and Quinnipiac and Harvard tied at 3, Maria Malonoski’s hard pass made its way down the field flying by all defenders finding Amanda Danziger. Danziger went unnoticed as she slipped behind defenders to go one-on-one with the goalie and swept the ball into the net right passed the Harvard goalkeeper scoring for the 4-3 win.“Nothing is luck,” head coach Becca Main Kohli said. “Amanda had a fantastic game. It wasn’t luck that she happened to put that ball away.”

Danziger was moved to the forward line late in the game after playing midfield the whole time according to Main Kohli.

“I was placed as a high forward in the last two minutes of the game in hopes that a ball could get through like that,” Danziger said. “I just received it in the circle and knew there was less than 10 seconds left and I took a shot. I looked up and it went in.”

It was Danziger’s first goal of the season.

Kim Cunniff put the Bobcats on the board early on a corner play for her team-leading seventh goal of the season. Megan McCreedy passed to Kaitlyn Notarianni who saw Cunniff at the top of the circle.

Off another corner in the 24th minute, Cunniff passed to McCreedy who dribbled in and shot through traffic for the second goal of the game.

Six minutes later, the Crimson offense put themselves on the board with goals from Kyleigh Keating and Noel Painter. The two goals came within 29 seconds of each other.

“We were making one vital mistake today, we were not protecting the middle of the field,” Main Kohli said. “As soon as we turned it over they came right back at us.”

Sophomore Jess Rusin scored at the 42:48 mark on a breakaway. Harvard goalie, Cynthia Tassopoulos blocked Rusin’s first shot, but Rusin followed up and flicked a shot right over her and into the net giving Quinnipiac a 3-2 lead.

Keating scored again for Harvard with under ten minutes left in the game to tie it up.

The Bobcats will travel to Columbia University for a non-conference match up on Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m.