Library solves printing problem

Anna Brundage/Chronicle Students wait in line to use a new printer in the Arnold Bernhard Library. (Anna Brundage)

Students rushing to the Arnold Bernhard Library to print out a paper before class, just to be let down by an error or paper jam, is known to be a common occurrence. But over the summer the library was outfitted with three new printers, plus two new multifunction devices, making these situations unlikely to occur. Quinnipiac University now has a total of nearly 80 new printers and multifunction devices.

The decision to get new printers for public use was made in early June after the successful and well-embraced roll-out of the new departmental multifunction devices, Director of Infrastructure and Communications Services Bob Rickert said in an email.

All departments got new machines in March but it seemed to make sense to give students the same kind of abilities that faculty and staff had, Rickert said.

The new printers are standard, but have the added capability of printing double-sided to save paper.

“The contracts for these types of devices are designed to maximize their useful life while providing minimal expense to the university,” Rickert said.

The new devices are in five locations, including the Arnold Bernhard Library, the Law School, Building 1 of the North Haven campus, Rocky Top Student Center and in Buckman Center and Theater‎.

According to Rickert, every year the university spends tens of thousands of dollars in printing costs. Then when paper is discarded the university pays again to be sure it is properly processed.

“There is truly very little need to print,” Rickert said. “If we could all just think a bit before printing or ask that electronic resources be used in lieu of paper the university would save financially and we would all be contributing much better to the environment.”

The new printers and multifunction devices on the three campuses include a new program with the help of IKON Office Systems that encourages scanning as a more effective form of duplication, Rickert said.

“We don’t want everybody printing for ridiculous reasons,” said Rickert. “It’s basically a wasteful thing. It’s a waste of money, it’s a waste of resources, and it’s a waste of time for a lot of people.”

[quote]

Rickert calls the multifunction devices “the real gem” of the program. There is a new feature Rickert refers to as “Follow-Me-Printing.” This feature allows anyone to submit a print job and print it on any campus.

The multifunction devices also copy and can scan into Word and Excel and can also be formatted searchable PDF.

“The hope is that by providing a robust scanning solution the community can move to be more electronic document-centric and less dependent on paper,” Rickert said.

According to Rickert, the old printers reached “the end of their useful life cycle” and were on a contractual agreement that expired.

The new devices charge five cents per copy and print while scanning is free, covering the cost of the machine, the cost of paper, the cost per impression QU pays to IKON and maintenance, Rickert said. There’s no cost, however, for the university to “roll the machines in.”

There are fewer student complaints now with the new printers, said Manager of Client Services Bill Murphy.

Many returning students noticed the new devices and were impressed with its features.

“I like the new printers,” sophomore Marina Dugan said. “They are much easier and more high-tech than the old ones.”

Because the multifunction device is “high-tech,” other students found it difficult to use.

“They suck,” said junior Yessenia Argudo. “It takes longer to find everything and now that you can double-side it [papers are] ruined. I just wasted like 60 cents for no reason at all.”