RAVE and WRECK of the week: Sept. 7, 2011

RAVE of the week: Chazz Bono will still dance

It isn’t easy being the child of America’s famous pop music duo. Chaz Bono continues to learn this the hard way as he once again faces nasty criticism. Cher and Sonny Bono’s famous child has officially joined the cast of the thirteenth season of “Dancing with the Stars.”

Recently, Chaz has been hit with a great deal of backlash from viewers who disagree with him being a transgendered cast member on a “family network” station.

Born as a girl named Chastity, Bono underwent hormone treatment and surgery to make the transition from female to male in 2010.

In making the decision to cast Bono, the ABC Network has been reeling in negative criticisms. Numerous prejudices against Bono surfaced on an ABC message board.

“Chaz Bono how low can this show sink! Well you have certainly addressed the gay community. Guess this will not be a family show any longer! Lost my family,” one angry commenter wrote.

Despite countless hurtful comments, Bono has kept his head high. He’s addressed this issue with style and grace, and has refused to leave the show.

The DWTS contestant is making the statement that this country needs to be more open and accepting. Hats off to Chaz Bono this week for remaining true to himself, and letting the ignorance of certain viewers roll off his newly broad shoulder.

WRECK of the week: ‘Bachelor Pad’ filled with trash

In what is perhaps the sluttiest and tackiest reality show since VH1’s “Flavor of Love” with Flava Flav, ABC’s “Bachelor Pad” is this decade’s answer to unadulterated filth.

The reality show stars dating rejects from past seasons of the net’s “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” series. It combines elements from those shows with a “Big Brother” competition aspect. Contestants compete in challenges and go on dates with housemates, prompting a heavy dose of drama.

There is a $250,000 prize at stake. You can also play at home and guess who you think will ratchet the most sexually transmitted infections in the span of one season.

In its second season, “Bachelor Pad” featured controversial past “Bachelor” cast members Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi, who broke up last year. We didn’t learn anything new about the two in this series. Pavelka still has no personality and Girardi remains dead behind the eyes.

It’s difficult to understand why a group of (mostly) attractive people have decided to waste precious time on this mockery of television. Yes, I can mostly assume they want their 15 minutes of fame and any chance to become an actor/model, but this show isn’t the best way to achieve that goal (not the second one, at least).

I can’t wait to turn on ABC next Monday at 9 p.m. just so I can switch the channel and never have to endure another painful minute of this excruciating show ever again.

Youtube