Movie Review: Drillbit Taylor

Owen Wilson stars in this somewhat amusing comedy co-written by none other than Seth Rogen, who starred in “Knocked Up” and “Superbad.” The movie revolves around three high school freshmen who hire a bodyguard (Wilson) to protect them from two bullies they just so happen to encounter on their first day of school.

Having taken enough abuse from Filkins (Alex Frost) and Ronnie (Josh Peck), the three send out a mass e-mail in hopes of finding protection from the two upperclassmen, even going so far as to promise cash payments.

In comes Drillbit Taylor, an Army deserter who is homeless, sets up camp in the forest and bathes naked on the beach. Accepting the boys’ offer, he first requests belongings from Wade’s (Nate Hartley) house as part of his “protection plan,” but ultimately winds up pawning them to make more money. However, Drillbit predictably becomes attached to the boys after witnessing first hand the physical abuse that they endure in school.

Pretending to be a substitute teacher, Drillbit becomes a member of the school’s staff and seduces teacher Lisa (Leslie Mann) while casting a watchful eye on the three friends he took under his wing. As Drillbit said, “Even when he’s not there, he’s there.”

A funny Judd Apatow (“The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Superbad”) flick for the younger crowd, the three young main characters, Wade, Ryan (Troy Gentile) and Emmit (David Dorfman) resemble youthful versions of Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and Christopher-Mintz Plasse (McLovin!) from their comedic timing to mannerisms and expressions.

But as humorous as “Drillbit Taylor” is, it only took in $10.2 million in its opening weekend, possibly due to the lack of promotion stemming from Wilson’s suicide attempt last August.

And probably even most amazing is that “Drillbit Taylor” managed to crack the Top 5 in the Box Office in its second week of release, the weekend of March 28, raking in $5,800,000.

Our Grade:

B-