One last weekend: Make plans now, enjoy later

For the weekend students still call “May Weekend,” the university will follow its policy on possession and use of alcoholic beverages, Quinnipiac Chief of Security & Safety Barger said, but the rules will be “relaxed.”

“We wouldn’t be looking for anybody with solo cups,” Barger said. “We wouldn’t be looking for any students who are under 21 years of age to be consuming alcohol.”

Barger said there will not be any additional shuttles, but there will be extra security guards on duty.

“Of course we’ll be interfacing with the Hamden police department as we have in the past,” Barger said. “We’re not going to have any more ambulances; we’re going to have a greater presence of staff in the health center. We hope that we won’t need any ambulances.”

This will be the fourth year since May Weekend discontinued after 2007.

Despite the “official” status of the weekend being taken away, the university has planned numerous events around campus the upcoming weekend, which may bring back the feel of the original. Some of the events include a cookout at the York Hill volleyball courts, a “drive-in” movie, and a plethora of inflatable rides on the quad.

“It’s been a tradition here for many years,” said Dan Scott, novelties chair on SPB. “SPB is always here to provide clean, alternative events for Friday and Saturday nights. It’s a great opportunity for students to come out, meet others, and just have fun.”

There will be senior-only events, sponsored by the university, such as the Senior Class Gift Party on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Alumni Field. President John Lahey is expected to attend.

Students of age can attend the sixth annual Bagels & Booze at Aunt Chilada’s Friday morning.

Kathy Macaione, director of student health services, said there will be extra staff on duty on Mount Carmel campus, but clearly was not as concerned as she would have been if the real May Weekend still existed.

Health services in York Hill’s Rocky Top Student Center will continue to operate only on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.