Baseball, Phi Sig team up to remember Vashon

Phi Sigma Sigma remembered Katie Vashon on Sunday during Katie’s Game, an annual fundraiser during one of Quinnipiac baseball’s home games.

Phi Sig hosted the first Katie’s Game in May 2007, two years after their sister lost her battle with leukemia. Sisters of the sorority sold baked goods and barbecue while watching Quinnipiac’s baseball team.

“She was such a bright and vibrant person,” said Sonia George, a junior economics major and Phi Sigma Sigma philanthropy co-chair.

Quinnipiac Athletics

Vashon’s father Jim threw the ceremonial first pitch to start the game. Quinnipiac lost to Monmouth University, but it didn’t dampen the spirit of celebration and remembrance.

“It is important that Katie’s Game continues to live on,” said Phi Sig sister Emily Callahan.

Vashon was a senior public relations major from Bangor, Maine. She was a member of Phi Sigma Sigma and volunteered at and donated to Camp Sunshine.

Camp Sunshine is a camp for terminally ill children. It is a getaway for the children and their families to release stress and enjoy the time they have together. Vashon was very passionate about it, according to George.

After Vashon’s passing, Phi Sigma Sigma held a 5K run in her honor that spring. The money raised was donated to Camp Sunshine.

The Phi Sig sisters agree it is of the utmost importance to keep the memory of Vashon alive.

“Katie’s Game gives meaning to the saying sisters are forever,” said Jessica Kraus, Phi Sigma Sigma philanthropy co-chair. “Katie’s Game is more than an event, it’s a reminder to everyone that no matter what, your sisters will always be there.”