International Business Society continues to grow

It might be difficult to constantly focus on the world we live in when we often become bogged down with more close-knit problems. Things such as getting a paper done on time, getting up for 8 a.m. classes or fulfilling a certain amount of credits. Yet, despite the demands of routine days, the International Business Society is an organization that exists to inform students of what is happening on a global level in today’s society.
    The organization, which meets on the first Tuesday of every month, holds round table discussions regarding international business. With regard to the events of Sept. 11, major issues to be discussed involve how global businesses come together and/or isolate themselves from one another. Aspects of export and import trading are also addressed.
    Along with discussions, the International Business Society welcomes speakers including teachers, students, and corporate employees to come and express their ideas and thoughts with students.
    On Nov. 6, a speaker from Pratt and Whitney will present a lecture to the society members.
    “A lot of the seniors mentor the underclassmen in helping them prepare for upcoming years as international business majors who will be juggling internships and studying abroad,” said Melanie D’Uva, the business society’s president.
    “The society brings International Business majors information and experiences that they may not get in the classroom but they can use in the ‘real’ world,” continued D’Uva.
    Such information includes developing interview skills, networking, and encountering people of different cultures.
    Many students in the organization are international and have studied and traveled abroad.
    “I am looking forward to working with other students. This is my first year at Quinnipiac and I am looking to gain exposure and to see what it’s like in an international business setting,” said Monika Kaczmarczyk, a society member.
    “The roster has doubled since last year. Out of 15 solid members, at least five are foreign-born students,” said D’Uva.
    Not only is the participation within the society increasing, but the organization is expanding in terms of the events and functions that it holds.
    On Feb. 4, the society will sponsor an international dinner, which will be open to both the Hamden and Quinnipiac communities. International food will be served including Chinese, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese and Polish dishes. The proceeds from the dinner will be funded for the society’s spring trip to either Montreal or Boston.
    For more information about the International Business Society contact Melanie D’Uva at Melanie.D’[email protected]