Linkin Park offers old, new in NYC

After a decade of success and rap-rock hits, Linkin Park played to a packed New York City audience on Feb. 4, blending old hits and new styles into an unforgettable show.

Linkin Park broke into mainstream music in 2000 with their first album “Hybrid Theory,” and has since dabbled in music across the spectrum over the past ten years, playing fan favorites and electronic rarities alike. Their most recent album, “A Thousand Suns,” came as an initial shock to critics, featuring heavy instrumental tracks focused on sound over catchy lyrics.

Fans came out in droves, filling up Madison Square Garden’s 20,000 plus seats. Linkin Park cranked out familiar singles from its early albums, including “Faint,” “Numb” and “Lying From You.” Between these classics, the band played newer material, including their new single “Waiting For The End.” A significant contrast was evident between the songs, with newer tracks featuring keyboard and drum emphasis rather than a traditionally raw guitar sound.

The most emotional moment of the show came toward the end of “Breaking The Habit,” with front man Chester Bennington singing a capella with the crowd. The entire audience could be seen beneath the vibrant lighting pulsing to Bennington’s harsh but demanding vitality, with Shinoda’s abrasive lyrics and all of Linkin Park’s instrumentalists following in proper heavy rock fashion.

The concert set list varied from previous shows on the tour, featuring a heavy emphasis on older tracks. The show will be televised Feb. 18 on Fuse at 9:30 p.m.

Photo credit: Myspace

Media credit: Youtube