To eat or not to eat

Many students are away from home for the first time and are used to home-cooked meals. Although deciding what to eat may not seem like a big deal to some people, it means the world to others.
    Between the Quinnipiac cafeteria, the Rat, and all the dormitory vending machines, you would think the decision making process would be easy, but are these the correct foods?
    We all fall into the trap of microwave-able foods, junk food, and our favorite: fast food. Many of you may be thinking, what other choice do we have?
    “Students usually gain weight from things like junk food, lack of exercise and drinking,” said David Lefkowitz, a counselor who specializes in helping students eat healthy on campus.
    According to Lefkowitz, many students overeat due to the fact that they are under stress and that is how they emotionally deal with it. These bad habits are easy to fall into, but many college students also fall into the habit of not eating enough.
    During these four years at Quinnipiac University, many students are faced with different expectations from family or peers that can be both stressful and demanding. Through these rough times, some people form eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating.
    If you, or anyone you know has an eating disorder, or just want to learn better eating habits, Lefkowitz is the man to see on campus. He will help out by giving you a set meal plan, or simply educate you on what is too much or too little of each food group. However, he will not put you on a diet.
    “I do not believe in them and I feel that they are unhealthy,” he said. “Diets are only temporary and do not teach you how or what to eat.”
    If you have any questions about nutrition, don’t be afraid to visit David Lefkowitz in the Student Center. He can also be reached at extension 8732.