RAVE and WRECK of the week

RAVE of the Week: Oprah’s Favorite Things

Last Friday, Oprah Winfrey hosted her final Favorite Things show to hilarious results.  Oprah went all out in treating her audience to her ultimate favorite things.  At the sound of bells and the sight of Oprah ripping off a black robe to reveal a bright red dress, the audience knew they were in for a treat. Audience members could be seen screaming, crying, hugging, and even praying as a result of Oprah handing out thousands of dollars worth of presents to every guest.  Oprah loves to scream at the top of her lungs, which only heightened the hysteria in the studio.

During the first special, Oprah presented everything from diamond earrings to five-year Netflix subscriptions to a Panini maker to a cruise vacation.  Since this is the final season of “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” Oprah also had a second Favorite Thing special on Monday, which featured the coveted iPad and the Volkswagen 2012 Beetle, among several other extravagant items.

It’s a shame these are the final Favorite Things shows ever. Despite watching from home, it’s almost just as exciting to see the audience collectively meltdown at the sight of every present they get to take home. While Oprah is heightening the worst part of the season through commercialism, it’s a relief to know the audience members are known to be heroes in their community, who perform selfless good deeds for little to no recognition. If only those audience members could’ve been individually celebrated then Oprah would’ve really made some dreams come true.

Wreck of the Week: Bristol Palin – “Dancing with the Stars”

During this week’s finale of “Dancing with the Stars,” Bristol Palin finished third with professional dance partner Mark Ballas behind winner actress Jennifer Grey (“Dirty Dancing”) and Disney star Kyle Massey (“That’s So Raven”).

Despite placing third, Palin should’ve danced her way back to Alaska weeks ago due to her atrocious and clunky dancing. It’s admirable that Palin tried something new and made it further than most would’ve predicted. However, Palin didn’t deserve to make it as far as she did at the expense of R&B singer Brandy and reality personality Audrina Patridge (“The Hills”), among many other dancing celebs. Palin didn’t make it to third place based on her dancing. No, no. Palin benefited from legions of fans of her mother, former Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin, and nutty “tea baggers,” who probably felt voting for Bristol meant they were voting for Sarah in the next election already.

What’s worse is the Palin family cannot even handle criticism in the public eye without making controversial remarks. Last week, Facebook friends of Bristol, and her 16-year-old sister Willow, made negative comments about Sarah Palin’s new TLC show, “Sarah Palin’s Alaska.” Willow used several gay slurs toward the commentator, and Bristol didn’t make the situation any better. Willow’s words signaled homophobia and immaturity, which are not qualities children of the prospective Republican Presidential nominee should make.

Bristol, time is ticking. Your 15 minutes are almost up.