Hartzell’s career night lifts men’s ice hockey over Dartmouth [Slideshow]

Quinnipiac sophomore goaltender Eric Hartzell was zoned in Friday night, stopping a career-high 31 shots and picking up his second career shutout in a 2-0 win over Dartmouth at the TD Bank Sports Center.

“I was very focused,” Hartzell said. “That’s the number one thing you want do before a game.”

Freshman John Dunbar broke a scoreless tie with 5:33 left in the second period, a goal which proved to be the game-winner. Sophomore Jeremy Langlois skated down the right side of the ice and crossed the puck near the point to Dunbar, who beat Dartmouth goaltender James Mello.

Junior captain Scott Zurevinski added an empty-netter with 14 seconds left in the game to seal the deal.

Hartzell has split time in net this year with junior Dan Clarke. Clarke allowed four goals against Cornell last Friday and Hartzell let one get past him against Colgate Saturday.

“We’re pretty lucky to have two standout guys,” Zurevinski said. “When you have two guys like that, when one’s not going the other is. Hartz picked up the slack tonight, just like Clarke has in the past, and that’s their job. They gotta push each other and if they’re pushing each other we’re going to have good goaltending all through the year.”

Photo credits: Joe Pelletier