School-sponsored ‘Senior Night’ (with beer) draws 180

Senior Luke Segreto was very pleased with Friday’s Senior Trivia and Happy Hour.

“There’s pizza and beer, what more could you ask for?” he said.

This was the first time alcohol was served at a school-sponsored event since 2002.

Residence Hall Director Megan Igoe said that obtaining a liquor permit was a hassle, but it was worth it.

“It was something new and different we hadn’t done before,” she said. “I’m glad people enjoyed it, and I’d like to do it again.”

To receive a liquor permit for the event, Res Life had to send an application to the town of Hamden detailing how the beer would be served and how they would ID students.

“It was a great event to bring all the seniors together,” Class of 2011 Representative Ben Wald said. “No one got out of control and we proved we are mature enough to handle alcohol.”

Quinnipiac Security was present at the event in case things did get out of hand, according to Igoe.

Roughly 180 students and guests attended the event, held in the annex of the Rocky Top Student Center. It was $2 to enter and pizza, chicken wings, wraps, and other foods were served. There were kegs of Shock Top, Bud Light, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, and Magic Hat #9.

Igoe said that Res Life decided on a two beer limit for the event because they were sticking to a one beer per hour rule.

Resident Assistants who helped plan and execute the event were not available to comment due to University policy.

The event was held at 4:30 p.m., immediately before a women’s hockey game against Harvard, which Quinnipiac went on to win 4-1.

The trivia contest included rounds on sports, songs and various other categories, with questions ranging from “what mammal can fly?” to “on what day is Bastille Day celebrated?”

Igoe said that Res Life is planning to hold a similar event in February, as well as a wine tasting with alumni in the spring.