John Faye Power Trip to play May Weekend

The John Faye Power Trip will be brought to the May Weekend 2001 in a concert sponsored by The Chronicle and WQAQ. The band, made up of John Faye (vocals), Cliff Hillis (lead quitar), and Dave Anthony (drums), will be performing on the Quad, on Saturday, April 28 at 5 p.m.
    With a definite unique look and sound, the John Faye Power Trip is not like anything many of us have seen here at Quinnipiac. One of the biggest draws to this band is their clever lyrics, crooned with the Faye’s talented vocals.
    Nearly of all of the songs pull the listener in with a sly, head-bobbing beat. From start to finish, the first track, “Hand-Me-Down,” on their self-titled album has a Blues Traveler meets Pearl Jam sound to it. It is a perfect introduction for the entire album, preparing its audience for the hot rock sound that is to follow.
    Early in the album, The John Faye Power Trip shows an unexpected romantic side with “Dancing In Your Shadow.” You shouldn’t be expecting a sweet, slow love song however. John Faye and his band find a good balance between that and their unmistakable rock sound.
    If your looking for something to put you to sleep, I suggest that you don’t try any of Faye’s “D-R-A-M-A-M-I-N-E.” Faye alters his voice slightly during two of the verses, reciting the lyrics like poetry. Backed by an edgy guitar rhythm, “D-R-A-M-A-M-I-N-E” is one of the best on the album.
    “If You Could See Me Now” relays the message that you would probably expect. The lyrics express a man’s pain, and his desire to make his girl regret her decision to leave him. It’s a hidden agenda revealed in Faye’s words that will leave the audience satisfied by this listener-friendly track.
    Settling to be just be one of a million, rather than one-in-a-million, may not seem totally unappealing when you listen to “All I Wanted 2 Be.” This is another hit on “The John Faye Power Trip.” The power of the band is displayed here. As well as being great to listen to, the lyrics are quite interesting. Take, for example the lines “Cause love me or not, I know the spot, the A-B-C-D-E-F….” These unexpected and suggestive lyrics make the song fun to listen to, and are a break from some of the more serious lyrics of some of the other tracks.
    One bonus of “The John Faye Power Trip” album is that there is hardly any time to wait between each track until the following song. This continuity of great rock sound will keep you listening throughout the whole fifty minutes of the album.
    If The John Faye Power Trip is this good on disc, why not check them out live? Make your way to the Quad this Saturday to see them perform for a Quinnipiac audience.