Momsen’s been ‘pretty reckless’

Everyday, I am bombarded with up-and-coming celebrities who should still be in high school, yet grace the tabloid covers for being a bit too rebellious. Instead of “Hello, Hollywood!” it’s “Hello, hot mess!” when it comes to certain movie and television stars who just can’t keep it straight once they turn 16.

Taylor Momsen of “Gossip Girl,” who played Jenny Humphrey, has been causing a scene around town lately. When I first started watching “Gossip Girl” in 2007, little Jenny was the sweet girl from Brooklyn with a knack for handling a sewing machine. Even more so, Momsen had previous fame as Cindy Lou Who in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” At that point, she was the picture of innocence.

Now 17 years old, Momsen fronts a rock-and-roll band called The Pretty Reckless, which possesses some very emotional undertones. The band has potential, and Momsen boasts some serious talent–her voice is deep and saturated, with a powerful touch of blues. Momsen could go far with what she has, but it’s as if she is going in the wrong direction. The Pretty Reckless released a single titled “Make Me Wanna Die,” accompanied by a video that was disturbing. The video itself records the process of an obviously-troubled Momsen singing about a lost lover, but stripping off her clothes piece by piece until she is scantily clad in a black lace bra and underwear in the middle of what looks like a flaming cemetery. I wonder, where has Miss Humphrey gone?

In public, Momsen displays some concerning behavior as well. On Oct. 26, Momsen hosted the Tokidoki x Onitsuka Tiger Sneaker collaboration in West Hollywood. Wearing a black lingerie set covered only by a sheer lace dress and a leather jacket, Momsen’s get-up was drastic. She wore platform black patent leather boots with one too many buckles, not to mention deep red lipstick and matching red eye shadow that basically obscured her face.

While performing in New York City with her band, Momsen apparently flashed the crowd to reveal X-shaped pasties covering her chest. Despite the fact that the singer is barely even legal, such behavior isn’t necessarily attractive. If you’re going to showcase that your band has guts, let the music speak, not your wildly inappropriate behavior and clothing choices.

Momsen recently posed for the cover of Revolver Magazine wearing lace knee-hugs, black lingerie, a gun holster, and a sheer black top revealing her midriff. As an added plus, she was carrying two different guns in each hand.

No one said Momsen had to be a role model. I do not believe young stars have to make decisions that benefit their fans. But swinging guns around at 17 years old on the cover of a magazine sets off an alarm in my mind.

If I am going to say anything positive about the young starlet, it is this: she is beautiful, has a wonderful singing voice, and is undeniably bold in her fashion choices and career moves. She is not a celebrity parading around town without any sort of talent to back her up. However, I do believe she needs to take it down a notch. Keeping her clothes on in videos, toning down the facial makeup, and smiling a little more might help Miss Momsen. She isn’t without potential, just fooled by the glamour of rebellion.