Taste the difference?

Later weekend hours seem synonymous with deliveries from Domino’s Pizza, Blessings II Go and Primo Pizza. But last weekend Chartwells provided students with another alternative: the Bobcat Den.

After an initiative brought forth by the Class of 2013 cabinet of the Student Government Association, the Bobcat Den is in the midst of a trial period with extended hours on Friday and Saturday nights.

“The first two days opening the Bobcat Den until 1 a.m. were successful,” Associate Director of Dining Services Leean Spalding said. “We encourage the students to continue to visit the Bobcat Den during extended hours so we can make this schedule permanent.”

Students flocked to the Bobcat Den, nicknamed the Rat, on Friday and Saturday night to indulge in this late-night experiment. There were roughly 25 students ordering food on Friday night, and a consistent flow on Saturday, as well.

“It just got annoying when I was studying late or coming back from drama club rehearsals and I’d have to order something,” freshman Ashley DiFranzo said.

The extension of the Bobcat Den’s hours will be in effect throughout the fall semester. After that, the situation will be reassessed according to popularity, profit, and other factors, Spalding said.

“Right now I am unable to give concrete numbers as to what will be required to keep the Bobcat Den open until 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday,” said Spalding. “There are too many variables that affect this decision. It is important to complete the semester before Chartwells meets with QU administration and to decide if these extended hours will be permanent.”

Mondo Subs is the only portion of the Bobcat Den that operates during these late hours on Friday and Saturday.

“I think the weekends are good for now, but if it gets really popular, it should be open some days during the week as well,” freshman Lauren Kline said.

“The new hours save a lot of people time, money and it saves drunk people from making themselves look like idiots,” sophomore Sean Pliskin said.

In a poll on QUChronicle.com, 63 percent of voters agreed that “Yes, I need my midnight snack.” Twenty-seven percent responded “I don’t care,” while seven percent voted “Probably not worth the money to keep it open that late.”

Photo credit: Amanda Shulman