BSU calls for creativity at cARTnival

The Black Student Union sponsored cARTnival, an art-themed carnival, in Complex Courtyard this past Friday. Students created their own masterpieces and put them on display around the courtyard. The free “make your own art stations” were popular among students, allowing them to express their creativity with spray paint and stencils.

The event was composed of multiple events and performances. Kayla Green and other students took the stage, presenting famous and originally-composed poetry. Step to Perfection performed one of their original routines for the crowd. Finally, a Quinnipiac art professor taught a hands-on art tutorial free for all students.

“It took a lot of planning and creativity to put this event together,” BSU President Crystal Cook said. “We decided we wanted to focus on art appreciation, and we paired up with some of the art professors at Quinnipiac and decided to go with pop art [for the theme].”

Inside the Perlroth residence hall, BSU members sold popcorn, cotton candy, snow cones, cupcakes and other treats as part of a fundraiser. All the money earned will be donated to P.L.A.C.E. Multicultural Children’s Museum and Creative Arts Center in Hamden.

BSU had a prior relationship with P.L.A.C.E. through volunteering events, so it was only natural they chose the art center to receive their donations, Cook said.

“Donations such as these go towards operating support at the center,” P.L.A.C.E representative Nicki Chavoya said. “We have multicultural classes and workshops for kids, so the money will go towards paying our teachers and handling our studio costs.”

The center is not open yet–it will open in about 18 months. It will be the first children’s museum in Connecticut dedicated to multicultural studies, Chavoya said.

Photo credit: Alessia Tranfaglia