Women’s XC places fifth at New Englands, men take 35th

The Quinnipiac men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the 98th annual New England Championships in Boston on Saturday.

The women took home fifth place while the men placed 35th out of 47 participating schools. Dartmouth captured first place for the men while Boston University won on the women’s side.

Quinnipiac sophomore Becca White continued her dominance by placing eighth out of 322 women with a personal best time of 17:54 in the 5,000-meter race. Captain Kristen Stevens was the second Bobcat to cross the line and 23rd runner overall at 18:17. Both White and Stevens were named Top 25 All-New England. Amanda Faust finished third for QU and 51st overall at 18:50. Her sister Brianna trailed her at 18:53 to get 61st in the race.

“I was really pleased with the women’s performance today,” Quinnipiac head coach Carolyn Martin said. “They worked great together as a team and we made solid improvements from last week. I certainly think we’ll continue to run faster and improve as the season continues.”

Thanks to his great performances in September, sophomore Mike Levene was named Quinnipiac Male Athlete of the Month. His success continued into October, as he was the first Bobcat to finish for the men at 25:47 in the 8,000-meter race for 59th place out of 318 male runners. Brian Cotter crossed the line at 27:01 and Jacob Cetera at 27:26 to get 193rd and 232nd, respectively. John Beckshaw finished shortly after Cetera at 27:31 for fourth on QU’s squad and 235th overall.

“I felt that the men all raced strong races,” Martin. “The men raced smarter, packed up together and ran as a team. We still need a little more tuning up, so we’ll be ready for our conference meets coming up.”

The teams also ran a sub-varsity race in which John Greenlaw was the first male to finish for Quinnipiac with a time of 27:58 and 111th place. David Coppola completed the course at 28:50 for 150th while Mike White captured 170th at 29:48.

QU will compete in the Central Connecticut State University Mini-Meet held at Stanley Quarter Park on Oct. 22.