Career Services helps students find summer internships

Career Services, located behind the Rat, is helping students find summer internships. As the summer quickly approaches, students must apply for possible internships as soon as possible. Career Services is making itself more available to help students by staying open until 8 p.m. every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. They are also open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Career Services encourages all students to stop by and pick up some information on the internship process.
    If students wish to meet with a Career Services counselor, they must make an appointment. Marla Buono, a counselor who is one of four assistant directors said, “Students can always come in to look at all the resources we have, but we encourage them to attend information sessions.” Many students who hope to get a summer internship are applying now.
    Career Services offers information sessions concerning building resumes, interview techniques, job searches, and professional practices. A copy of each months’ sessions can be found at Career Services.
    Buono went on to say that many companies that attended the recent career fair were looking to hire interns. Interns can acquire plenty of professional experience and may also receive college credit for their work. While there are a wide range of companies now offering internships in Connecticut, Buono said, “We can help students make contacts in any state, even California if they wanted.”
    Career Services is also available to proofread and critique resumes. This can be done by dropping off a resume for the 48-hour resume critique program. The resume will be returned to the student with an attached sheet that will include suggestions on how to make the resume more effective and professional. Walk-in appointments are available Monday through Wednesday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.