Fortunato wins SGA presidency

midst one of the worst storms to hit the northeast in recent memory, Thomas Fortunato was elected President of Quinnipiac’s Student Government Association (SGA) for the 2001-2002 school year.

Fortunato defeated the current Class of 2003 representative Vagelis Perdikouris for the position. Fortunato will succeed Aaron Blank, who did not seek re-election as SGA President after an embattled reign in 2000-2001. Fortunato eagerly looks forward to the challenge of leading the SGA next year.

Two current sophomores were elected to next year’s Executive Board. Marlon LeWinter was elected to serve as Vice President of Administration. Mike O’Neill was elected to become the new Vice President of Public Relations. Despite his youthfulness in comparison to other SGA Executive Board members, O’Neill is not intimidated and looks forward to the challenge.

In other Executive Board elections, Sara DeMayo was elected Vice President of Finance, Steve Vindigni won his bid for re-election as Vice President of Programming, and Stephanie Wenderoth, who will serve as a representative for the Class of 2002, was elected representative to the Board of Trustees.

This past year, the aforementioned Aaron Blank worked with many of the students who will serve on next year’s Executive Board, and he forsees a great deal of success for the group.

In class elections, Michael Drysielski was elected President of the Class of 2002 with Boulee Hong-Lim elected Vice President. The class representatives are led by the aforementioned Wenderoth and former SGA Vice President of Administration Bryan Ortiz. Despite losing his Executive position, Ortiz is looking forward to serving his class next year in any way possible.

Joe Bowman defeated Pamela McCarthy to become the new President of the Class of 2003. Jon Kroll is slated to serve as Class Vice President for the third year in a row. With the exception of McCarthy, all of the current representatives of the Class of 2003 will be serving their third year in a row. This list includes Kristin Pedicone, who thinks that the representatives’ familiarity with each other will help them work better as a unit.

Rounding out the class elections, Thomas Hyde was elected as the new President of the Class of 2004 with Marina Perdikouris, younger sister of Vagelis, elected Vice President. Representatives include former Class Presidential candidates Justin Barksdale and Anne Tassarini. After not being involved in Student Government during her freshman year, Tassarini is eager to get into the scene.
    For a rundown of all the newly elected Class Representatives, there is a complete list of the 2001-2002 SGA members posted on the bulletin board next to the SGA Office on the 2nd floor of the Carl Hansen Student Center.