Sonny Costanzo concert series: Begins March 7

The Sonny Costanzo Concert Series will continue this semester with two more jazz performances. The Warren Chiasson Quartet with Giacomo Gates will perform on March 7. On April 11, The Sammy Rimington Band with “The Big Easy Rhythm” will perform.
    Chiasson is a master vibraphonist. He has performed for well-known vocalist Roberta Flack. He has also played with the George Shearing Quintet and the Tal Farlow Trio.
    Members of Chiasson’s quartet include guitarist Gene Bertoncini, percussionist Jimmy Madison and bassist Jon Burr. These three men have performed with a wide range of musicians before joining Chiasson’s group. This list includes James Brown, Chet Baker, Stan Getz and Buddy Rich.
    International recording artist Giacomo Gates will also take the stage with Chiasson. Giacomo is also an educator on those who helped to create the Great American Songbook such as George Gershwin and Miles Davis.
    The Sammy Rimington Band will end the 2000-2001 concert series. Rimington is a classical jazz clarinetist and saxophonist. He has made over 200 recordings.
    His band consists of Jon Marks on piano, Frederick John on trombone, Jim Tutunjian on bass and John Russell on drums.
    The Sammy Rimington Band plays songs made famous before the 1950’s. Their music is a mix of pop, swing, spiritual, blues, stomps and rag songs.
    Both performances will be in Buckman Theater. They begin at 7:30 and are free to students and the