Technology Fair Showcases Equipment

Several classrooms across campus may soon be benefiting from the new technological advances that were on display during Quinnipiac University’s first Technology Fair. The fair, held on Feb. 14 in Alumni Hall featured a variety of vendors and staff ready to demonstrate a new gadget to a flow of students and faculty.
    Stephen Glassman, an Academic Technology Support Specialist worked with the faculty of the Academic Technology Program to put together the event.
    “The technology fair is here to show Quinnipiac University faculty, staff and students creative ways to use technology in the classroom,” said Glassman.
    Mike Calia, Professor of Mass Communications, was showcasing a number of programs that he currently utilizes in his classes. With a flick of his wrist and a click of the mouse, he launched into a short demonstration of Final Cut Pro, an editing program that helps students to piece together final video projects that look professional.
    “I’m showing how easy it is to shoot film in the field, acquire it into a laptop, edit it to broadcast quality footage and output it on to tape,” said Calia.
    The eyeful of new equipment spurred thoughts of positive consequences for Richard Ferguson, Vice President/Chief Information and Technology Officer.
    “The advantage isn’t so much the technology,” said Ferguson. The technology is a stimulus for the faculty to re-think the curriculum. The objective would be to interact more with content rather than passively receive the content.”
    Vendors included Apple, which was showcasing its new G4 Powerbook and a program called I-DVD that would allow students to create their own digital videodiscs. Crimson Tech demonstrated a new projector, the XGA, which produces high quality pictures and may replace the projector in the mass communications screening room.
    The technology fair offered demonstrations of programs and equipment that would benefit every major at the University.