Naked Pear, Arnold starting to grow on me

As a junior moving onto York Hill, it was easy to get sucked into complaining for the first few weeks. The lack of air conditioning in 90-degree heat was making me cranky. Add to it the whole concept of commuting instead of just rolling out of bed and walking. Then the weekend comes and I have to take four separate shuttle excursions for one trip to New Haven. Then there is the challenge of finding a time when the Rocky Top cafeteria is open. But when I stepped back from my bellyaching I realized that there are some new additions to Quinnipiac life that are really growing on me. So in the name of being positive, here are my favorites.

The Naked Pear: I am all about these flatbread lunches, open-faced or not. I try to recall exactly what I was eating all of last semester before this wonderful option was presented. I think I was able to sustain myself on Outtakes sandwiches and whatever was offered at the Rat that didn’t mean I had to wait in a huge line. Consequently, Uncrustables were a main staple in my diet. It is so nice to have options that get a little more creative than burgers and pizza–not that there is anything wrong with Mama Leone’s or Coyote Jack’s. But the concept of having a meal with balsamic and feta cheese on it from the cafeteria is still novel and I am reveling in it.

Library’s new look: My roommate moved in before me, and when she texted me “You are going to love the new library,” my first reaction was panic. New library? I thought it was the cafeteria they were working on; how many restorations and additions can this school make before we are a campus of blue tarps and bulldozers?! Then I took a breath as she explained that new cubicles were added to the second floor. The second floor is more comfortable now that some shelves have been removed. I am starting to believe that my days as an aisle-shuffler are over. (The true test, of course, will come during midterms and finals.) These baby cubicles are a welcome addition.  Another newcomer I am thrilled to see is the Hydration Station near the first-floor bathroom of the library.

New friends on York Hill: Now that I live on York Hill, there is a new guard station I have to pass through, and I must admit it is a more enjoyable experience. I really have a sense that the University is looking out for us, and not trying to get us in trouble. Last year when I lived in Village, parking was always a big hassle. Where were you going, what were you doing and (God forbid!) another student drop you off near your room. This is not blaming any particular guard because they were just doing their job, but I think the setup of the parking garage shows that the real concern is watching out for intruders.

Yes, I still have to show my Q-card, but even if I am fumbling to find it I think our decals help in the matter. Obviously I want the guards who are on the graveyard shift to be a little stricter, but it is nice to see a smile and a wave when entering the garage. One day the gate was broken and every student had to swipe in, and one of the guards stood outside and took the students Q-cards and swiped it for them, so they would not have to lean outs of their cars. She laughed and explained, “I just can’t watch you guys do this all day!”

It almost makes me feel like I’m pulling into my own driveway.