‘Sephora kids’ are eroding beauty community values

Katerina Parizkova

In today’s beauty landscape, skincare isn’t actually about skin anymore — it’s become a trend.

We live in an era that is saturated with beauty influencers who flood social media algorithms with the latest skincare crazes. Unfortunately, this means content reaches younger audiences. That’s not always a good thing.

“Sephora kids” are ill-mannered pre-teen girls who exhibit impulsive behavior by loading their shopping baskets with expensive serums and anti-aging creams, products often unnecessary for their age and skincare needs. Their extensive exposure to the internet makes them susceptible to influence, leading them to purchase and use these products without fully knowing the consequences.

These kids are disruptive in stores, make messes and throw tantrums when they don’t get what they want. They also sell out products, taking them away from people who actually need them. This is a new definition of spoiled.

In a TikTok posted by @beautylinds, a beauty and skincare creator, she shows multiple testers that she says have been destroyed by kids. To combat this, some Sephora stores have even begun locking testers in boxes, making it inconvenient for other shoppers, according to Business Insider.

One of the most popular skincare brands among this group is Drunk Elephant. Although Drunk Elephant’s philosophy is to use only clean ingredients that benefit skin, its popularity among young people raises concerns.

A majority of the products target issues like fine lines and acne and aid in slowing down the aging process — none of which most pre-teens struggle with. Why are they using these products in the first place?

When kids consistently use products with active ingredients such as peptides and retinols, they may find themselves in a bit of a pickle. These active ingredients work to firm the skin and slow down the aging process. However, using them incorrectly can result in the reverse effect, UCLA Health cautions.

Their ignorance isn’t doing them any good.

Aside from using unnecessary products, these kids are draining their parents’ bank accounts by the second. Some of Drunk Elephant’s skincare products, for example, can be close to $200 and these kids are purchasing multiple products at a time.

Oblivious to the price tags and often begging their parents to purchase things for them, these kids end up accumulating several hundred dollars worth of skincare at checkout. What’s astonishing is their ability to get away with it, then boast as if they used their own savings.

In a TikTok video, Natalie Herrera told her viewers about a time she experienced this in real life. Needless to say, she was appalled by the behavior of the children.

Another emerging trend in skincare is creating “smoothies’’ — blends of various products to reach specific skincare goals. However, combining certain active ingredients can also have a negative effect, triggering irritation and damaging the skin barrier.

After purchasing such products, many kids online refuse to keep quiet about it — that’s when you know it’s just a trend.

They frequently turn to social media to document their skincare routines and flaunt their fancy new products. Some of them have routines comprising of 12 products, most of which contain harsh acids unsuitable for young skin.

Many of the comments under these videos feature those with more experience in skincare providing constructive criticism. The “Sephora kids,” however, dismiss these as jealousy or hate comments, failing to recognize the valuable advice being offered.

One way to combat these issues is to create age restrictions. Implementing age limitations can safeguard against the purchase of potentially harmful products for children. There’s no reason kids should be buying luxury skincare with anti-aging ingredients, especially when using them can have negative consequences.

Additionally, the attitude conveyed by these children is often a reflection of the parenting they receive.

Parental awareness is much needed in these situations. Just by simply looking into the products their child wants them to purchase, parents will recognize their child doesn’t need them. They should also act as a voice of reason to steer their children away from unnecessary and pricey products and point them in the right direction when it comes to picking out skincare that’s safe and affordable.

I’m fed up with “Sephora kids.”

They have turned skincare from a focus on skin health to a trend-driven culture and ignore d the consequences of doing so. Their behavior is awful and they make it more difficult for everyone else to shop in beauty stores.

The “Sephora kid” trend not only distorts beauty community values but also creates hurdles for those genuinely seeking to keep their skin healthy. Their actions reflect their troubling prioritization of profit over ethical consideration and well-being.