New York Fashion Week has stunning written all over it

Bright lights. Sequins dangling. Excessive blow drying. Bold makeup looks. Quick changes. Heels clicking on the runway. This is what the fashion industry waits for.

New York Fashion Week took over Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood from Feb. 9-14. The biannual event showcased designers’ fall and winter collections with a variety of styles, like glamorous, grunge and streetwear.

Originally set as “Press Week,” publicist Eleanor Lambert created fashion week to present American fashion during World War II. Designers, editors, models and stylists made their way to the Big Apple in hopes of experiencing the creativity firsthand.

Over time, the Council of Fashion Designers of America created “7th on Sixth,” an event bringing designers, sponsors and the media to promote fashion. “7th on Sixth” gained global recognition, creating the “Big Four,” or the capitals of fashion — New York, London, Milan and Paris.

Last fall, returning brands Ralph Lauren, Carolina Herrera, Michael Kors and Tory Burch showcased their spring and summer collections. The runway was filled with models wearing a scenery of red-colored clothes, elegant roses, bold leather, enormous bows and metallic sequins.

This year’s fashion week provided an unforgettable night with 97 brands attending and collections portrayed through shows, digital media and presentations. This included Coach, Michael Kors, Gabriella Hearst, Tory Burch and returning brands Ralph Lauren, Carolina Herrera and Tommy Hilfiger.

Diving deeper into the brands, we’ll take a look at underrated looks that showcased unique stylings and should be prominently known in the fashion industry.

BISHME CROMARTIE

Newcomer Bishme Cromartie made his debut at NYFW, bringing a bold, feminine collection. The Baltimore native got his start on “Project Runway: All Stars,” which he won this past September.

Just five months after his win, Cromartie displayed a Matrix-inspired look on the runway. The models strutted the stage with slicked hair and a swash of gray-metallic makeup across their face.

The outfits ranged from jumpsuits, draped dresses and fluffy mini dresses covered in red, black, white, plaid and metallic hue colors. Cromartie’s styling was the perfect way to debut in the fashion world and give a taste of what he has to offer. However, I would have loved to see the brand’s iconic rimless, black-tinted sunglasses to make the outfits pop.

GABRIELA  HEARST

Gabriela Hearst revealed her wintertime collection at NYFW. The Uruguayan-American designer gathered models to strut the runway wearing her sustainable designs. The aesthetic of the luxurious lifestyle made its way onto the stage with cashmere and fleece material, a major inspiration for this collection. The black, white, gold, red and blue colors gave the outfits a diverse look. Though it might look simple, this look gave me a sense of elegance and sophistication.

RODARTE

Sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy created a collection of femininity and dark stylings.

In a burgundy setting with bouquets of bright-colored flowers, models displayed themselves wearing angelic-type gowns in yellow, ballet pink, floral and baby blue. This feminine-blossoming look with angel wings showcased the softness in the sisters’ clothing.

The other half of the collection had models displaying themselves in black and red gowns with lace, fluffy, leather and embellished textures giving a Victorian-style look. This collection is unique from most recognized brands as the sisters chose to go outside of the fashion world’s comfort zone and create a bolder look.

THOM BROWNE

CFDA chairman Thom Browne closed fashion week with an eye-catching runway presentation. Known for his innovative and whimsical looks, Browne designed outfits that honored late poet Edgar Allan Poe. Strutting through a winter wonderland, models wore black and white plaid blazers, trench coats, parachute-like dresses, pants, sheer jumpsuits and gold parachute dresses. Their braided updos, bold winged liner and red lips added to Browne’s weirdly fashionable look.

WIEDERHOEFT

Designer Jackson Wiederhoeft showcased his “Secret Room” collection that included various styles such as satin, embroidery, crystal, sequins, drapes and veiling on different clothing items like corsets, blazers, pants, dresses and skirts. 

At first, I was unsure why Wiederhoeft had incorporated such diverse looks, but it became clear that it demonstrated his versatility in fashion design and his ability to create unique and distinct pieces.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As I anxiously waited for New York Fashion Week to roll its way into this year, I was amazed by the number of creative designers  — returning and new — that provided unique looks. Even though I may not be able to afford expensive clothing, I know what a work of fashion is when I see it.