How the ‘Sunday scaries’ can be a tool to conquer the week ahead

Amanda Riha

Everyone dreads the day. The day when you return to reality after a long weekend and are forced to face everything you need to do for the week. The realization hits — how much work you’ve put off and how much you still have to do —and then panic sets in.

The phrase “Sunday scaries” describes the shared experience that many people feel of dread and anxiety about the week ahead on Sunday evenings. They hit like clockwork. The scaries stem from the weekend when you try to forget your responsibilities and enjoy your time off to relax. Rightfully so, everyone needs time to themselves without needing to work the way they do five days a week.

Sunday scaries can be sparked by fears and apprehension due to overly heavy workloads, as well as living a lifestyle constantly connected through technology and the perception that we have to work around the clock, according to Queensland Business School.

Sunday scaries are a form of anticipatory anxiety that results from procrastination but can be utilized as a powerful motivator. While this is not the most sound motivation, it is one that most compels you to get your act together. When we procrastinate until the last hours of Sunday evening, we have no choice but to do our work. It is crunch time and the pressure is on to finish everything before the week starts over again.

Sunday scaries create a sense of urgency that can help you determine the most important tasks you need to complete first, prioritize them and work under pressure to meet deadlines. They can prepare you for the work outside college by teaching you to think on their feet and solve problems quickly. Many procrastinators thrive during the Sunday scaries because they rely on last-minute pressure and an adrenaline rush to complete their work.

While you might feel anxiety in the moment, Sunday scaries save you from feeling the dread and nervousness during the previous week. Even though pushing off all of your work until the very last day can be stressful, it guarantees you an allotted time when you feel that way. Sunday scaries make you thankful for the free time you once had and motivate you to make the most of your weekends.

Believe it or not, Sunday scaries can help you save time. Waiting until the last hour to complete an assignment will only give you that much time to finish. The scaries can boost your energy and empower you to be more productive, helping to avoid unnecessary distraction while working because there is no time for a break. There is no time to go on your phone after 20 minutes of work to “reward yourself” or catch up with friends to distract from what you need to do.

When I push off work to the last minute, I am stressed about finishing assignments, but I complete them in half the time I usually would. The Sunday scaries leave no room for dilly-dallying because it is high stakes. But even though my work will get done, it doesn’t mean what I’ve completed is quality work. After I finish, I don’t think about the quality as much because I am so relieved that I am done with my assignment.

This feeling does not have to be a negative, stressful one. The scaries are what you make of them. If you view them as a chance to prepare for the week, you can take back control. You can use it to your advantage and set yourself up to be more proactive with your time in the future.

Although Sunday scaries can be overwhelming, this time of the week switches you into high gear and is the best motivator to help you finish your work and contribute to a routine tailored to prepare you for the next five days. Sunday scaries are the gateway to a productive week: scaries today, success tomorrow.