Celebrity wedding culture is becoming its own art form

Shavonne Chin

We look to celebrities for many things in today’s world, from beauty brands to vacation plans, and now, wedding inspiration. Even though I’ve never attended a wedding, nor plan on having one myself anytime soon, it feels exciting to pretend to share in the fun, even if it’s just from the pictures on my feed.

Actress Joey King and director Steven Spiet’s Mallorca, Spain, wedding took the internet by storm this past month. Coverage of the couple’s weekend-long event was featured all over social media, and even in Vogue Magazine, and it was nothing short of spectacular.

King, known for her versatility across her performances in the Hulu series, “The Act” and Netflix trilogy, “The Kissing Booth,” got to leave her acting past behind her for the weekend and step into the role of a princess bride. From the otherworldly venue to her multitude of personally-designed dazzling looks, the couple’s wedding radiated timelessness, that, in an interview with Vogue, she stated was “the same way we feel about our love for each other.”

Who wouldn’t love to tie the knot on the Spanish coast in a dazzling spectacle surrounded by other famous family and friends? If this sounds like your dream, you can make it happen, but like many other big events in today’s economy, it will cost you. According to Bustle, King and Spiet’s venue alone has an estimated rate of nearly $50,000 per day.

If a private, more intimate wedding is more your style, there is plenty of inspiration to be taken from actress Anya Taylor-Joy and musician Malcolm McRae’s wedding held this past weekend. The couple said “I do” away from the presence of many cameras and public spectators — paparazzi’s only glimpse of the bride-to-be was even from a 15th-century balcony at the wedding venue in Venice.

Taylor-Joy, star of the 2020 Netflix miniseries hit, “The Queen’s Gambit,” is also well-known for her stylish and iconic looks at many red carpets and event premieres. The actress, named a global ambassador for Dior in 2021, surprised many with a first look at her custom embroidered dusty rose Dior brand wedding gown the morning of her big day.

I think Taylor-Joy’s untraditional dress choice was the perfect statement, as I admire anyone who takes the chance to venture away from the status quo. For those also looking to keep up with the fast changing trends of present day wedding culture on their big day, this might be all the assurance you need to take that non-traditional leap of faith.

In fact, you would be joining hundreds of other millennials also in the midst of their wedding planning efforts who are switching out traditional wedding expectations and implementing their own. Special Events, an event news site, says that less-traditional weddings have been on an upward climb for years – speculating Meghan Markle to be one of the first figures of influence since breaking tradition in 2018 by choosing to walk down the aisle by herself, instead of being accompanied by a father figure.

I found myself wondering about all the other celebrity marriages from prior years that didn’t have the chance to be featured in magazines. Celebrities have been getting married forever, so what sparked the recent obsession?

According to CBC News, social media is the culprit. As the popularity of social media only continues to grow, so will our nation’s love of all things celebrity related. Whether that makes you happy or not, social media remains the greatest influencing factor of our time. Social media sites Instagram and Pinterest are predicted to continue to rule the wedding planning industry for many years to come, and personally, I’m not disappointed.

Like many other forms of art, weddings take the careful work and the precision of many to make it reality. For large-scale celebrities, however, it takes hundreds of planners, caterers, designers and stylists to achieve the couple’s desired vision.

Coverage for celebrity weddings is always in high-demand. Add two world-famous celebrities to the mix, and it can easily escalate to being the event of the year. The whole process is artistically constructed, from the ring to the final song. It may seem tedious and unnecessary to some, but this is what really sets celebrity weddings so far above the rest.

Are you influenced yet?