Why Guns N’ Roses needs a new album

Photo contributed by Guilherme Neto/Guns N’ Roses

Picture this: it’s been 15 long years since the last Guns N’ Roses record, “Chinese Democracy.” It’s also been 30 years since the last Guns N’ Roses record to feature multiple original members, 1993’s “The Spaghetti Incident.”

Three of the founding members — Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan — reunited in the spring 2016. Since then, they have toured relentlessly and have released three previously written singles along the way, 2021’s “ABSURD” and “Hard Skool” and 2023’s “Perhaps.”

While it’s nice that the band released leftover tracks from the “Chinese Democracy,” the real question is, when are fans getting new, original material?

I think the next few months would be the perfect time to release a full-length record. It was widely reported that Guns N’ Roses are working on a full-length record, as confirmed by Slash back in January 2022. But that was well over a year ago.

Since the confirmation, the band has dug into the closet and pulled out some deep cuts to play in concert. After the release of “Perhaps,” the band announced that the next single, “The General,” would be released as the B-side of the vinyl copy of “Perhaps.”

On top of Slash confirming that the band was recording a new record, photos surfaced online of Axl and Slash in the studio while on tour, which the band’s management quickly took down.

The band has gone to far lengths to keep things a secret, which also includes delaying the release of “Perhaps” after copies were leaked at a bar this past summer.

As someone who has been a fan of the band since I was a freshman in high school, I have been long obsessed over the idea of new original material.

For the last few years, fans have been fortunate enough to get a McKagan solo album, “Tenderness,” released in 2019. In addition to McKagan’s record, fans also received two Slash records, featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, in 2018 and 2019. If other members can release multiple solo records, why can’t Guns N’ Roses release a full-length record or at least an EP?

I know that I can speak for a majority of Guns N’ Roses fans when I say that it’s time for new music to be released.

This summer, there have been so many great records from bands coming out of long hiatuses, like Queens of the Stone Age, Mammoth WVH, The Foo Fighters and Greta Van Fleet. So why should Guns N’ Roses only release one single?

Other great rock bands, like The Struts and Dirty Honey, are slated to release new records this coming fall. Ironically, Dirty Honey is opening for Guns N’ Roses on their fall tour of the U.S.

Since we’re talking about what could be, what if former rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin rejoined the band after the falling out with the other members at the start of the reunion? What if original drummer Steven Adler or Matt Sorum from the “Use Your Illusion” record were brought back to round out a full-fledged reunion?

Now, this thought will be a major stretch, but, if Stradlin doesn’t come back, could Guns N’ Roses bring back Gilby Clarke, who replaced Stradlin on the “Use Your Illusion” tour?

There are so many “what if” scenarios that could happen with this band. In terms of former members returning, I know fans are split down the middle. Some fans want former members to return while others are OK with current members Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer.

In all honesty, I love Fortus and Ferrer. While I would love to see Stradlin, Adler, Sorum or Clarke return, I’m OK with the band as it is.

Guns N’ Roses has become a band wrapped in mystery. It has released music sporadically and fans have been whispering about a new record for years. It is only a matter of time.

With that said, “Perhaps” now is the perfect time for “the most dangerous band in the world” to make the announcement that fans are waiting for.