RAVE and WRECK of the week: Feb. 8, 2010

RAVE: Kelly Clarkson defends ‘Idol’

Kelly Clarkson defended “American Idol” on Feb. 4 when Big Machine Records CEO Scott Borchetta slammed the talent competition reality series in order to prop up his label’s biggest star, Taylor Swift. Following Swift’s horrendous performance at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards, Borchetta quickly argued on Swift’s behalf inadvertently slamming “Idol” and its contestants. “This is not a competition of getting up and seeing who can sing the highest note,” Borchetta said. “This is about a true artist and writer and communicator. It’s not about that technically perfect performance.” As the inaugural winner of “Idol,” Clarkson especially took offense to Borchetta’s words. She mentioned that every artist tends to have a bad performance, but there is no reason to throw blame on others. “[W]e not only hit the high notes…we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well,” Clarkson fought back in response. She signed her blog as “One of those contestants from ‘American Idol’ who only made it because of her high notes.” Since winning “Idol,” Clarkson has been accused of distancing herself from the reality competition that made her famous. However, this blog response only further proves that Clarkson is proud of how she got her start in the business. Not only did Clarkson take a stand for herself, but other previous contestants who have gone on to great success, including country darling Carrie Underwood.

WRECK: Dr. Conrad Murray

Michael Jackson’s cardiologist Dr. Conrad Murray was charged Monday, Feb. 8 with involuntary manslaughter for the June 25 death of the King of Pop. Specifically, Murray is charged with proceeding “unlawfully and without malice,” according to a complaint filed by prosecutors. Murray surrendered to police on Monday. Conrad’s attorney Ed Chernoff announced before charges were filed that “[w]e’ll make bail, we’ll plead not guilty and we’ll fight like hell.” Jackson died after Murray allegedly administered the dominant anesthetic propofol and two other sedatives to force Jackson, a known insomniac, to sleep. Jackson had been preparing for a series of London comeback concerts when he hired Dr. Murray for assistance. Jackson’s death was ruled a homicide by the coroner due to acute intoxication. Dr. Conrad’s week could not get any worse. After years of practicing medicine, Murray now finds himself on trial for his alleged part in the death of one of the greatest pop stars of all time.