Quinnipiac women’s tennis steamrolls Rider 7-0

Quinnipiac+womens+tennis+is+back+in+action+against+Siena+on+April+8%2C+in+Loudonville%2C+New+York.+

Quinnipiac women’s tennis is back in action against Siena on April 8, in Loudonville, New York.

Ryan Raggio, Staff Writer

GUILFORD, Conn. – On its senior day Sunday, Quinnipiac women’s tennis shutout Rider 7-0, improving to 3-0 in the conference and 10-8 overall. The win extends the Bobcats’ win streak to four matches. 

The level of intensity in matches has increased as MAAC play has gotten underway, and it showed Sunday. The match had a playoff feeling to it, as every game has more meaning than before. Playing at home has been beneficial for Quinnipiac as it supports a 5-1 record when in front of the home crowd.

Quinnipiac showed its dominance on the court as the doubles teams took the point easily from Rider. Senior Jordan Bradley and freshman Nikole Lisovyy won their match quickly, followed by a win from senior Claire Koscielski and freshman Vera Sekerina 6-2. 

“Doubles hasn’t been our best this year,” head coach Paula Miller said. “To come out and win pretty easily was a great start for us.” 

Since Quinnipiac took the doubles point in its first two matches, the third match was stopped by default. Graduate student Kamilla Nella and senior Alessia Truden were ahead in their match 5-0. 

Nella, who was named a captain in March, battled back in her first set as she was locked in a tight contest. She stuck to her playstyle of feeling her opponent out then hitting a, “winner,” as Miller calls it, which is a shot that is meant to get you the point. 

The Ontario, Canada, native took the set 7-5 and followed up the gutsy performance with a swift 6-0 thumping. 

“I feel like now, more confidence is building,” Nella said. “Getting that one and especially singles, it’s going to be great for next weekend and the next couple of matches to come.”

The Broncs were outmatched by the Bobcats. Much like the doubles matches, Quinnipiac quickly took all of the singles matches without losing a set. 

Later in the season, Quinnipiac will face two tough conference opponents in Siena (2-0 MAAC) and Fairfield (2-0 MAAC). 

“They know the teams that we’re coming up against next is our toughest competition,” Miller said. “We have to work hard this week and come back on Saturday.”

The Bobcats look to extend their winning streak as they face the Siena Saints in Loudonville, New York, on April 8.