Women’s ice hockey edges Colgate, 2-1

The women’s ice hockey team upset the Colgate Raiders in its 2-1 win at Starr Rink in Hamilton, N.Y., on Saturday afternoon.

Senior forward Evelina Husar padded Quinnipiac’s 1-0 lead with a goal early in the second period. After a rebounded shot by freshman Brittany Lyons, Husar shot the puck past Raider goaltender Kimberly Sass. Freshman Cate Colucci also assisted the winning goal.

Quinnipiac’s first goal came within the first four minutes of the first period. Freshman forward Heather Hughes scored her team-leading 12th goal on a power play with a shot between Sass’s pad and the post.

The Raiders’ attempt at a comeback came in the third period. At the 40 second mark, Raiders’ forward Jenna Klynstra scored on the power play off the faceoff. Despite the thirteen attempted shots in the period, the Raiders were unable to tie up the game.

Quinnipiac goaltender Victoria Vigilanti stopped 28 Colgate shots, while Sass and backup goaltender Lisa Plenderleith combined to block 32.

Quinnipiac received one vote in last week’s USCHO poll, and with a three-point weekend, the team could receive more votes.

The Bobcats (15-8-7, 8-4-6 ECAC) are tied for sixth place in ECAC Hockey and will return home this weekend to take on St. Lawrence (fourth) on Friday and No. 3 Clarkson (first in ECAC) on Saturday.