Quinnipiac bounces back, tramples Siena 69-52

Sophomore forward Grace LaBarge tallied nine points in the 69-52 win.

Benjamin Yeargin, Associate Sports Editor

Quinnipiac women’s basketball is 9-0 at Loudonville heading into today, and the Bobcats managed to get the 69-52 win and stay undefeated against Siena Saturday.

Action started quickly with senior forward Cur’Tiera Haywood knocking down two jumpers and senior forward Mikala Morris using her post presence to get two points. 

Graduate student forward Mary Baskerville used her length to get on the board and draw a foul, where she completed the three-point play. After some more baskets, the Bobcats led 12-2 midway through the first.

From there, the Saints went on an eight-point run with buckets from sophomore guard Valencia Fontenelle-Posson and freshman guard Teresa Seppala. 

Graduate student guard Rose Caverly found her way to the line often in the first, getting four of her seven points in the quarter off of free throws. 

At the end of the first quarter, the Bobcats led 16-12.

Coming into the second quarter, Morris came down from a jump shot in the post and appeared to roll her ankle. She was immediately subbed out for Baskerville and had ice wrapped around her right ankle for the rest of the night. She would not return to the game.

One of Siena’s best players, sophomore guard Emina Selimovic, reached four fouls early in the second period, docking her until late in the game. She later fouled out in the fourth quarter.

What Quinnipiac did well today was find its way to the line. In the second quarter, Caverly, Baskerville, graduate student guard Mackenzie DeWees and sophomore forward Grace LaBarge all found their ways to the stripe, notching 14 of the Bobcats’ 19 points in the quarter.

The Bobcats dominated in getting the Saints to draw fouls. Siena drew 19 team fouls compared to Quinnipiac’s six team fouls. 

“This is a championship effort, finding out what we’re truly made of,” head coach Tricia Fabbri said on the ESPN+ broadcast. 

At the end of the second quarter, Quinnipiac led 35-26 with Caverly leading the charge with 11 points.

The third quarter started with a three from sophomore guard Jackie Grisdale and the Bobcats kept getting to the line. Both DeWees and Haywood kept finding their way to the charity stripe while Fontenelle-Posson and freshman guard London Gamble kept on scoring on the other end.

They led Siena with 10 points each with three minutes left in the quarter.

It seemed that Siena was starting to get back into it, with a bucket from sophomore forward Anajah Brown and Seppala finding her way to the line. 

With a little over a minute left in the third quarter, one Bobcat possession epitomized what the team is about. LaBarge shot a three, grabbed her own board and passed it back to Haywood while falling out of bounds, Haywood missed the layup which DeWees picked up and drew the foul.

That relentless mentality and doing whatever it takes to score has been what Quinnipiac women’s basketball has done the entire season.

At the end of the third, the Bobcats led the Saints by 10 at 48-38.

The fourth quarter started with a Gamble layup, but Quinnipiac soon went on a 6-0 run to close it out.

LaBarge made her first three of the night and reached nine points in the game– DeWees and Baskerville both made layups too. 

The Bobcats continued to get to the line, where they shot 88% and continued to get Baskerville open looks, whether she was working one-on-one in the paint or getting feeds from Caverly. 

Baskerville finished with 16 points and six rebounds, matching her scoring total from her last time out against the Saints. 

“She’s stupendous,” Fabbri said. “She can do things out on the basketball court, make plays look easy … she really commands a lot of presence.”

The Bobcats closed out the game with redshirt freshman guard Rose Caso, junior guard Jillian Casey and junior forward Tiera White getting some playing time, winning by double figures 69-52 over Siena.

Quinnipiac will close out its regular season at home on March 4 for Senior Day against Fairfield at 2 p.m.