RAVE and WRECK of the week: April 28, 2010

RAVE of the week: QU Singer’s spring concert

The Quinnipiac University Singers performed their annual spring concert to sweet sounds on April 22 in Buckman Theater. The concert marked Professor Fred Rossomando’s ninth consecutive year as choral director. In front of an overflowing theater, Rossomando successfully conducted 56 members through a repertoire featuring music from The Beatles, “Man of La Mancha,” and “A Chorus Line.” The musical collection consisted of “One” from “A Chorus Line,” The Beatles’ “Band on the Run,” an arrangement of “Ease On Down The Road” from “The Wiz,” “Somewhere Out There” from “An American Tale,” and a medley from “Man of La Mancha.” QU Jazz Ensemble provided the pre-concert music.

“Powerful melodies stick with people, it’s like the fabric of your life,” Rossomando said in an introduction speech.

The QU Singers performed their annual fall concert in December. The chorus began rehearsing for the spring concert in January with more than 55 students wanting to join. This concert marked the last performance for 5 senior chorus members.

“Although we are saying goodbye to several senior members tonight, I will never forget their leadership, strong voices and friendship,” Rossomando said in a special thanks note.

The Quinnipiac University Singers showcased their beautiful harmonizing through an eclectic blend of upbeat music throughout the decades.

WRECK of the week: ‘South Park’ censored

YouTube: Good Morning America: Limits of Funny: ‘South Park’ Censored

Comedy Central censored the 200th episode of “South Park” this week after they depicted the Prophet Muhammad disguised in a bear costume. Any physical representation of Muhammad is considered blasphemous, which forced the New York-based Muslim group, the Muslim Revolution, to warn creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker that they could be killed. The message sent to Stone and Parker insinuated that the two could end up like Theo Van Gogh, a Dutch documentarian murdered for his depiction of violence against Muslim women. In the latest episode, the bear costume was replaced with Santa Claus. Comedy Central also censored dialogue at the end between characters Stan, Jesus Christ and Santa Claus. In response to the censorship, Stone and Parker released a joint statement: “In the 14 years we’ve been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode.” Comedy Central’s own Jon Stewart came to the defense of the show, telling the Revolution Muslim to “Go F—k yourselves.” Veiled threats against Stone and Parker violate their free speech. Comedy Central’s censorship is inconsistent with past situations because Muhammad has been depicted before and was not censored. Something needs to change.