Beat Yale: No. 1 Quinnipiac looks to win 10th straight over Bulldogs in Battle of Whitney Avenue

Yale+mens+hockey+has+not+beaten+Quinnipiac+since+Feb.+9%2C+2018.+

Connor Lawless

Yale men’s hockey has not beaten Quinnipiac since Feb. 9, 2018.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

Eight miles. That’s all that separates the campuses of Quinnipiac and Yale. One sits under the shadow of the Sleeping Giant, while the other basks in a history older than the U.S. itself. But on Feb. 17, all that matters is the 44 men that take to the ice to renew the biggest non-Ivy League rivalry in ECAC Hockey. 

The Battle of Whitney Ave. returns for its 40th installment Friday, once again pitting the in-state rivals against one another with the Heroes Hat on the line.  

No. 1 Quinnipiac (24-3-3) comes into the game looking to continue its near-decade long dominance over the Bulldogs (5-16-4). In 21 matchups since the Bobcats fell to Yale in the 2013 national championship game, they have only lost once. It’s been over three years since the Bulldogs have even scored a goal on their regional foe, having been shut out in four straight games. 

When the teams met in New Haven earlier this season, it was all Quinnipiac. Sophomore forward Collin Graf led the way with a hat-trick as the Bobcats poured 45 shots on net en route to a 4-0 win. 

This time around, the venue shifts to Hamden. All eyes are on M&T Bank Arena as Yale comes to town looking to change its fate. But if history is any indication, it won’t be easy. 

60 minutes is all that separates the Bobcats from a trophy and bragging rights for another year. Will Quinnipiac follow the trend and win its 10th straight rivalry matchup? Or will the Bulldogs turn the tide and upset one of the nation’s best?