No. 6 Quinnipiac shakes off last week’s loss, wipes Dartmouth off its own ice

Aidan Sheedy

The Bobcats blanked Dartmouth 8-0 on Friday night with eight different goal-scorers.

Alexandra Martinakova, Staff Writer

No. 6 Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey responded to its blowout loss to Princeton last Sunday, sweeping Dartmouth off of its ice in an 8-0 shutout.

After suffering a harsh loss last week, Quinnipiac entered the game determined to clear its name. Graduate student goaltender Logan Angers had her shot at redemption and gladly took it. However, throughout the three periods, Dartmouth registered 14 shots, barely giving the netminder a challenge.

From the start, Quinnipiac did not let up on offense, sophomore forward Maya Labad challenged Dartmouth freshman goalkeeper Elle Sullivan a minute after the first face-off. Labad got the puck between Sullivan’s leg pads and the goal line, but Sullivan caught the puck a second before it slipped past.

After an unsuccessful Quinnipiac power play, the first goal of the game belonged to the junior defender Kendall Cooper, shooting the puck through four of Dartmouth’s players and between Sullivan’s pads for the early 1-0 lead.

In the first period alone, the Bobcats recorded 15 shots on goal, two of which were successful. After Cooper, Labad took advantage of another power play with six minutes left in the first period. She took the puck and skated from behind the blue line and easily tipped the puck between Sullivan’s leg pads, a place that seemed like a magnet for Quinnipiac’s blades tonight.

Despite 17 shots on the Bobcats’ side and only four on the side of the Big Green, the only goal of the second period belonged to Quinnipiac senior forward Sadie Peart and her graceful wrap-around of the net, just a minute after the period started.

The Bobcats did not let the Big Green leave their defensive zone for the majority of the time across the last two periods, and as the ESPN+ broadcast remarked, one does not want to take the foot off these Bobcats’ necks. Up 3-0 before the last period, the only hope Dartmouth’s struggling offense had was to wish for a power play to get back on the proverbial horse.

However, with Quinnipiac having possession of the puck roughly 90% of the time, and controlling the game as dominantly as it did, they weren’t in the position to earn any penalties.

The third time’s a charm, and just like her teammates, Quinnipiac senior forward Jess Schryver beat Sullivan, shooting past her glove to score her fourth goal of the season and the game, barely a minute after the third period started. Following shortly was senior defender Kate Reilly’s backhanded shot that found the net, bringing the score to 5-0.

Junior forward Olivia Mobley caught the puck from a won face-off just two minutes after and delivered it right to graduate student forward Shay Maloney’s blade in front of Dartmouth’s net, who earned her 13th goal of the season.

Five minutes before the end of the third period, senior forward Alexa Hoskin tipped the puck past Sullivan after it slid under her. The junior defender Maddy Samoskevich closed the game with a mere three seconds left before the buzzer sounded, finding an open top right corner of the net, earning her third goal of the season and bringing the score to 8-0 for Quinnipiac.

43 shots on goal and eight different Bobcats scored and eight different earned an assist. Labad led the team with three assists and a goal of her own. The Bobcats won 34 face-offs compared to Dartmouth’s 19.

These are the stats Bobcats ice hockey fans are used to seeing. The almost casual dominance these women exert on the ice earned them this win, moving them to 15-3-0 in ECAC Hockey.

The Bobcats have a week off to enjoy this sweet win before they face the RPI back at M&T Bank Arena on Feb. 10, at 3 p.m.