Pop punk proves it’s here to stay

Illustration+by

Cat Murphy

Illustration by

Zoe Leone, Associate Arts & Life Editor

Pop punk fans around the world reacted in a mix of awe and disbelief as Jan. 24, brought a day many never thought would come: the legendary band, Panic! At The Disco, was officially disbanding.

Frontman and sole original member, Brendon Urie, took to the band’s Instagram page to announce that after 19 years, the band would be no more due to the upcoming birth of his and his wife’s first child. While the comments were filled with heartbroken fans and fellow musicians, the overall reception of the news was a mixed bag.

Panic! At The Disco has been a pop punk staple since its first album, “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out,” dropped in 2005. As the years continued and the band’s fame grew, the band’s once revered reputation became tainted. The departure of all of the original band members other than Urie, recent albums with mixed reviews and old videos resurfacing with a variety of problematic comments lost the group many fans.

With the departure of one of the icons that once made up what was lovingly referred to by pop punk fans as “The Holy Emo Trinity” (Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance rounded out the trio), it’s easy to believe that the beloved bands of the 2010s era are officially no more. However, while Panic! At The Disco may be out, the revival of the pop punk that marked so many middle and high school years is back in full swing.

After a three-year music break, pop punk’s reigning champion, Fall Out Boy, dropped a new single, “Love From The Other Side,” and announced that they would have a new album released in late March 2022. Their last two albums, “American Beauty/American Psycho” and “Mania,” were both excellent, but included a much more of a pop sound than their earlier material. “Love From The Other Side,” however, proves that pop punk never dies.

The single is reminiscent of the absolute brilliance of “From Under the Cork Tree” and “Infinity on High,” two of the band’s most popular albums that cemented it as pop punk-royalty. The shredding guitars and heavy drums melt beautifully with powerhouse vocals led by lead singer and guitarist Patrick Stump to create a song that is simply so classical Fall Out Boy.

In a world where pop punk has been marred by TikTok stars releasing amateur-hour tracks about falling in love with emo girls and ex-girlfriends sucking, Fall Out Boy’s epic return to the genre proves that the music many of us fell in love with is still here to stay.

Similarly, Paramore has been having a resurgence as well. While the band’s music has remained infinitely more pop than punk since the days of the “Riot!” and “Brand New Eyes” albums, the group has been celebrating its roots on its current tour ahead of the release of its new album in February.

While Paramore has often played its older, more pop punk records on tour, one famed song has been notably missing from their line-up for many years: “Misery Business.” In 2018, frontwoman Hayley Williams opted to retire the song after being called “unfeminist” due to the usage of the word ‘whore’ in one of the verses. The new year, however, brought the song back, as well as a new tradition.

The beloved song is not only being played by the band once again, but the members have started choosing one lucky fan to join them on stage to sing along with them. Videos quickly began circulating from each night on tour featuring fans screaming and dancing with Williams as the crowd cheers along.

While its music has continued to evolve away from the pop punk genre, Paramore’s dedication to celebrating its roots only brings a celebration to the era of music that it rose to fame in.

Panic! At The Disco might be bringing on the end of an era, but the bands of 2010s fame have proved that the much-loved genre is here to stay. So break out your eyeliner and Doc Martens because 2023 is going to get a little pop punk again.