Distance runners shine for Quinnipiac at URI Invitational

The+URI+Invitational+was+Quinnipiac+track+and+fields+fourth+meet+of+the+indoor+season.+

The URI Invitational was Quinnipiac track and field’s fourth meet of the indoor season.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

Graduate student Emily Young won the 800m and the Bobcats went 2-3 in the mile and 3000m as Quinnipiac indoor track and field put on another successful performance at the URI Invitational in Kingston, Rhode Island Saturday. 

Young clocked a time of 2:18.46 in the event, nearly a second faster than the second place finisher and two seconds faster than teammate Alyssa Romagnoli, a junior, who placed fourth in the event with a 2:20.51 finish. 

Junior Alessandra Zaffina (5:04.31) and freshman Rachel St. Germain (5:06.22) came just short of the top spot in the mile, with junior Corinne Barney (10:17.33) and sophomore Grace Michaud (10:24.47) doing the same in the 3000m. 

In the sprints, freshman Michelle Tota placed fifth with a 26.69 finish in the 200m, while freshman Nyasia Dailey ran 7.99 over 60m, her first time dipping below the eight-second mark this season and good enough to qualify her for the finals, where she placed seventh. 

Sophomore Rylie Smith continued her stellar season by clocking 1:17.48 in the 500m to earn third place in the event and equal the seventh-fastest time in program history. It was the first time Smith has raced the distance at the collegiate level. She was also a part of the Bobcats’ 4x400m relay team that finished second. 

Off the track, three Quinnipiac athletes claimed top-five spots in field events. Sophomore Olaitan Olagundoye placed third in the high jump, clearing 1.6m. 

Freshman Sydney Lavelle earned the same spot in the long jump, posting a 5.38m mark. Classmate Erin Brennan was fifth in the pole vault, clearing 3.21m. 

Quinnipiac is next in action on Jan. 28, as the Bobcats head back to Boston University, where they opened their season, for the John Thomas Terrier Classic.